40.5 and davits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
planning to install davits on my 1997 40.5 but before I purchase (looking at Garhauer, Kato and Martek) I thought it would be wise to check with others to see what they went with and why, also any installation tips and or photos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much, fair winds and calm seas
Capt. Ron

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I have a Wells davit on my 410. I think it was pretty expensive (previous owner installed it) but it is very strong. It is welded on to the arch and lifts the dingy high out of the water with clear vision under the dingy to the rear. I can send a pic of interested.

Jun 13, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Hampton,Virginia
I went with garhauer . Absolutely the best bang for the buck. Mark at Garhauer custom made a set to my specifications . All tube construction was using 1 1/4 SS. I have complete photos I could post but I am presently on a cruise and they are on my home computer.

Mike

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
We put a set of Ocean Marine davits on our boat last year, http://www.oceanmarinesystems.com/, they supply the davits to the Hunter factory. They work with the Hunter factory for a design for each model Hunter makes.

They did a complete interview to determine the size and weight of the dinghy, outboard size, which side the outboard would be on etc. then designed the davits for our needs. They fit perfect, were well finished.

The dinghy is totally solid when in the stowed position it can not move a mm, so no wear on the fabric, no shock loading of the davits in choppy seas. If the vessel is heeled over and drops off a wave and the dinghy can move the shock loads can be excessive.

I thought the price was very good, they installed in about an hour. I had them supply everything including the attachment eyes and straps for the 9 ft. airdeck dinghy.

The davits also work great to lift the outboard (6 hp) off and on the dinghy.

The dinghy is easy to lift or lower. My dock mates last year needed the two of them sitting in the cockpit with feet on the transom each heaving on a line lift their dinghy up or down.

The owner supplies his cell number for support anytime if you have a question, great customer service.

Bob

(I have no connection etc. just a satisfied customer)

Attachments

rfrye1

Jun 15, 2004
Hunter H376 San Diego
We installed Garhauer on our H376. The folks a Garhauer were great. Quality product, very happy.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Capt Ron,

I installed Garhauser davits - the HD model with 1.25" tubes - on my h40.5. Very happy, solid installation. Due to the mounting distance on the 40.5 transom and the length of my dinghy (9' 6"), I modified the standard Garhauser bracing. I have pictures and explanation for the change. The 6:1 hoists that are standard make lifting very easy. Reasonable cost - about $1100 including my bracing modifications.

Email me if you want pictures and details.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
Davits

Thanks everyuone,

I very much appreci
Capt Ron,

I installed Garhauser davits - the HD model with 1.25" tubes - on my h40.5. Very happy, solid installation. Due to the mounting distance on the 40.5 transom and the length of my dinghy (9' 6"), I modified the standard Garhauser bracing. I have pictures and explanation for the change. The 6:1 hoists that are standard make lifting very easy. Reasonable cost - about $1100 including my bracing modifications.

Email me if you want pictures and details.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
Whoops, typing too fast, wanted to say thank you to all who responded and anyone that is willing to send pics would be very helpful and appreciated, please send to;
captron@nc.rr.com

thanks again,
Capt. Ron

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I will send tomorrow after I get a decent internet connection. I'm on my boat right now and my connection is worse than dial-up.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 40.5 New Bern NC
Davit modification

I will send tomorrow after I get a decent internet connection. I'm on my boat right now and my connection is worse than dial-up.
Rich, that would be very helpful, at you convenience, when you stated you modified the bracing, did you do it yourself or did Garhauer do it for you as per your specs?? I have the same size dinghy 9'-6" are you talking about the bracing from the stern rail (top or bottom) to the transom ??

Thanks again,
Capt. Ron
captron@nc.rr.com

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Capt Ron,

I have sent you an email with a photo essay on the installation of the Garhauser davits and the modifications that I made. If there is anything else I can do, just yell.

Jul 28, 2012
Hunter 410 San Blas,Mexico
Sail gunner, I have a 1998 410 with an added mount for solar panels which I would like to strengthen to include davits. I'd appreciate a photo of your system. Thanks, Bob

Apr 23, 2012
Hunter 430 Kemah
I have to agree ,went with ocean marine, hunter 430, the gentleman called doing the process of making the unit for different measurements. Installed it myself at the slip. No hiccups at all. Been great now over 1 year later.

Apr 12, 2009
Hunter 1996 hunter 40.5 Green Cove Springs FL
planning to install davits on my 1997 40.5 but before I purchase (looking at Garhauer, Kato and Martek) I thought it would be wise to check with others to see what they went with and why, also any installation tips and or photos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much, fair winds and calm seas
Capt. Ron
I have the big marteks . keep the 8 hp Yamaha on the dink all the time using the elec winch.
have not had any problems works for me

May 13, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Legend Jupiter
Capt Ron,

I have sent you an email with a photo essay on the installation of the Garhauser davits and the modifications that I made. If there is anything else I can do, just yell.
Rich

Could you send them to me also please?

guyauk@hotmail.com

I'm worried my bimini will be in the way of any lifts

I was initially going to just buy an engine hoist for my outboard but this maybe a better solution as otherwise I'm going to be towing it or manhandling it onto the deck

May 13, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Legend Jupiter
Nothing seen yet Rich?

Also, have you ever replaced your gaskets on your toploading freezer at all?

Struggling to find what I need to get that done, my originals were totally shot through.

Hope things are good!

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Also, have you ever replaced your gaskets on your toploading freezer at all?

Struggling to find what I need to get that done, my originals were totally shot through.

Hope things are good!
I've never replace the gaskets on the freezer, but I did replace on the refrigerator once. As I recall the improvement was marginal.

My real problem is that it is impossible for me to keep latches on the top loading refrigerator lid. They keep breaking, and I am pretty sure that the breakage is due to an alignment issue. It's just that I can't seem to figure out a way to fix the problem. For a couple years I have gotten by with just one latch.

Status
Not open for further replies.