376 raw water impeller

Dec 14, 2018
Ericson/ Hunter Ericson 29 / Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
1997 Hunter 376 with 150 hours on the engine (3 jh2) an alarm, steam out the exhaust; the raw water pump offered 6 little rubber paddles to Neptune.
I read on line that the alternator was in the way. Several hours of cooling I placed a folded towel over the top of the engine to lay over and was able to remove the plate, pry out the impeller, and replace without any other tear down. The bottom inside bolt was a little difficult to install.

All and all the dread and wait for the engine to cool were the worst part.

Thank goodness for BoatUS unlimited and a nice stack of spare parts left by the previous owner.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Laying on top of the engine turned out to be the easiest way to replace my impeller as well. I went to NAPA and bought one of their engine mats. It makes the task simple, and less likely I wil drop the screws. I am only sad that the Speed Seal is no longer available.

Aug 18, 2018
Hunter 410 MDR
The same thing happened to me last weekend on my 410 while cruising, still made it into an anchorage without help though. Had a new impeller, easy access but couldn't get the old, 1 paddle still on it, impeller out. Guy on the islands outboard shop came out with the puller for $150. I didn't mind, I was really relieved to get it out quickly and clean to continue our weeklong trip. I did have some ideas using a bolt, nuts, washer, stainless seizing wire to make a puller. Hmm, could have worked.
I will be buying a real puller though, as well as another impeller.

Oct 22, 2014
Not sure about you, but I tried a couple of pullers. None worked effectively. The pliers and a needle nosed vice grip seemed to work the best. Once I got the impeller started out a little wiggle and all went well. Being able to lie on the engine and work with 2 hands was all the difference in the world. I am glad I am not any bigger than I am. Might not have fit.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
The same thing happened to me last weekend on my 410 while cruising, still made it into an anchorage without help though. Had a new impeller, easy access but couldn't get the old, 1 paddle still on it, impeller out. Guy on the islands outboard shop came out with the puller for $150. I didn't mind, I was really relieved to get it out quickly and clean to continue our weeklong trip. I did have some ideas using a bolt, nuts, washer, stainless seizing wire to make a puller. Hmm, could have worked.
I will be buying a real puller though, as well as another impeller.
Yanmar USE TO sell these impellers with internal threads. With Yanmar's puller bolt (cheap) they came right out. NOW, Yanmar no longer makes impellers for our 4jh2e with the threads. Progress!. Back to tearing them out.

Feb 17, 2013
Hunter 380 Port Clinton, Ohio
I have a Hunter 380. I cut a hole in the wall next to the water pump and installed a plastic hatch door. Now the impeller is easy to get to. Hatch size? The bigger the better. s-l400.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
I like that. Unfortunately for me I have a V-Drive. The nice thing is the the Oil and Fuel filters are all easily accessed. The bad news is the Water pump is on the opposite end facing the stern bulk head of the engine space. A boat is a compromise.

Dec 14, 2018
You pirates with 4 cylinder engines must have a few more inches between the pump housing and the starter, one more inch would have been wonderful. The impeller wedges in the gap on the three cyl making it difficult to line up. I used a cable tie to hold the paddles, next time I will have a hose clamp of the proper seize. The choice of turning the salon into an oven by opening the engine cover or have a long wait for cooling. As stated earlier I opted for a free tow and a relaxing afternoon at the dock and dinner while waiting. Any ideas on doing this on a hot engine and surviving.

Apr 1, 2019
Hunter 376 Niantic
I have a 376, the previous owner cut a hole in the wall by the starter/impeller that makes that job fairly easy. I need to take the starter out to get the job done however. Takes about 20 minutes each year to change it out.

Jul 29, 2013
Hunter Hunter 376 Guayama
I am seriously considering open a hatch door at the shower room to access the impeller.

Feb 13, 2016
hunter 37.5 legend Milwuakee
Tristan is that the 3JH2E? It is a tight space but certainly comes out without taking the starter off. Changed two already in five years one for inspection and found to be damaged and one for precaution. Curved plier and patience.

Feb 24, 2014
Hunter 376 Havre de Grace
Hi Randy - did you recover ALL the missing rubber pieces? If not, they are probably somewhere in the cooling loop between the pump and the heat exchanger screen.

Dec 14, 2018
Found a few in heat exchanger. The rest must have gone out the exhaust.

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
The same thing happened to me last weekend on my 410 while cruising, still made it into an anchorage without help though. Had a new impeller, easy access but couldn't get the old, 1 paddle still on it, impeller out. r.
I have replaced mine on my 410 a couple of times without a puller and it was always an incredible struggle. Last year I bought a puller after spending an hour or so trying to get it out with bent nose pliers, screw drivers etc etc. The puller had it out in under 60 seconds. Well worth it. I got the jabsco puller.