37 year old Catalina comes to life...

MikeJB

Aug 14, 2020
Catalina 22 Central Florida
I've been lurking in the background while I finished a refit of a recently purchased 37 year old Catalina 22. We took it out for it's inaugural sail this past weekend....a 36 mile overnighter along the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Here is a link to a video if you are interested.

Mike

Attachments

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Damn - you got a lot of work done in 3 months. Looks great. Congratulations on the maiden voyage-

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Great video!!

I recognized Fort De Soto right away. You guys live in Tampa? We're just up the road, around Ocala.

MikeJB

Aug 14, 2020
Catalina 22 Central Florida
Great video!!

I recognized Fort De Soto right away. You guys live in Tampa? We're just up the road, around Ocala.
Hi Gene... I feel like I know you. Have watched all your videos. Actually we live in Groveland, about 30 miles west of Orlando. It's been a long time since we've sailed so I've got a lot to learn/re-learn.

Are you still sailing your 22?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Nice restoration!:clap: Hope y'all enjoy the "new" boat. Just like riding a bike....will get your sea legs back in no time.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Very nice job, and bravo on the spray job on the paint I ended up roll and tipping I was too cowardly to try an outdoor spraydown

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Nice video! Like Gene, I recognized Bunces Pass/Mullet Key right off the bat as it was my playground growing up. I learned to sail on Mullet Key bayou in the '70's in those little beer cooler boats, marveling at the seagrass flats and round sandy patches I later learned were old bomb craters from when the island was used as a bombing range during WW2. Speaking of that, my last walk around was under the bridge in your video a couple of days after the last storm to hit that area and I found a WW2 era .50 cal bullet washed up along with the thousands of shells.