26X replacement rudders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 15, 2010
MacGregor 26 Magog, QC
After a cruise to Cuba, my rudders became cracked from the pressure of the strong seas.
I noticed that the replacement rudders offered by the sailboatowners store seem to have holes only for the main bolts. Do I drill the holes for the rudder cables myself, or should this be done professionally? Has anybody done this among you bloggers?

Jun 17, 2007
MacGregor Mac26S Victoria Tx
Rudder info

I'm not sure about the rudders you are talking about but my Idasailor rudder appeared not to have a hole for the downhaul line. Actually, they were drilled on one side and another hole drilled through the rudder face into the other hole. Sort of an "L" shape hole. When seen from one side of the rudder, you couldn't see the hole.

On another note about your cracked rudders... Be sure they are adjusted all the way down. If they are up slightly, the wave action can crack the rudders. Not to mention putting more stress on everything and more weather helm.

After a cruise to Cuba, my rudders became cracked from the pressure of the strong seas.
I noticed that the replacement rudders offered by the sailboatowners store seem to have holes only for the main bolts. Do I drill the holes for the rudder cables myself, or should this be done professionally? Has anybody done this among you bloggers?

lml

Jun 3, 2004
- - lake pleasant, az
If you bought the ida sail replacement rudders get ready to sail a brand new boat. Steering will be much more precise, roundups wil be a a thing of the past, unless you really have too much sail. and even then they will be easily controlled. Definitely one of the better improvements. Yes you will have to drill additional holes and probably sand down rudder so it fits smoothly in the steering stock (but not too much).

Status
Not open for further replies.