26D Rudder

Apr 14, 2021
MacGregor 26D Mobile
Who sales new rudders for a 26D? After looking at mine it’s definitely a DIY unit and I won’t trust it. Seems to flimsy. In my research I see Idasailor is recommended but I can’t find their website. It looks like maybe now they are Rudder Craft? Rudder Craft has a nice unit but it’s expensive. What are the recommendations for a new rudder?

Apr 14, 2021
MacGregor 26D Mobile
Thanks for those. I would like to build one myself but I don’t think I could ever get a decent foil shape.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I installed the IdaSailor (RudderCraft) HDPE rudder on my 26S. Very nice product but not cheap!

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
A question for those guys that have a HDPE rudder.
Have you ever had it break?
I've seen HDPE rudders with white horizontal lines. It looks like a crack but it's in the rudder below the pivot point. By in the rudder think 1/8-3/16 inside.
The rudders I saw we're of unknown age and orgine. The outer part seemed sun bleached to about the same depth.
Anyone ever notice this?
Seeing that made me build my own. Also cost!!!
The foil shape isn't hard to make. Think belt sander and 36 grit.
Marty

Jul 1, 2012
MacGregor 26D Kirkland, WA
Na. My boat came with one, so I guess I've had one for almost a decade. It survived prop strikes and ramp scrapes in our early years.

Jul 1, 2012
MacGregor 26D Kirkland, WA
Mine has a partially balanced shape, with the leading edge ahead of the pintles. I assumed they built all of them that way.