23 spin halyard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
Has anyone added a spinnaker halyard to their 23? Most likely it would be external, I am thinking masthead, because the boat does have a backstay. any issue with the side shords terminating about 18" below the masthead, and having the spin halyard going all the way up?

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
Spinnaker halyard exit

I responded to a similar post a few weeks ago. The "bendy" Z-Spar mast has a flared spinnaker halyard exit just above the forestay. There's also an axle for a sheave. The mast base has extra axles for a sheave as well. This is the mast base where you pull UP on the main halyard to raise the mainsail. I don't know how the other masts (Kenyon, FranceSpar) are set up. Even with the backstay, I don't know if putting a spinnaker halyard at the masthead is a good idea. Most fractionally rigged boats have the spinnaker halyard just above the forestay instead of at the masthead. There's probably a good reason why... Peter H23 "Raven"

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
thoughts

I took a closer look, and oddly, the only exit already on the mast IS at the masthead. I'm not sure how much difference it makes, but I've got a very very early 23...swinging keel, short spreaders, inboard chainplates, big turnbuckles down below that pretension the deck. I just might try it! I was thinking about soemthing..the true purpose of a split backstay versus an inline backstay. Our backstay does not have a block, but rather a plate, meaning each leg has a fixed length. This means the backstay can almost be though of as a little like a running backstay - not only holding the mast backwards, but side to side deflection. after a few inches of displacement to the side, the windward leg of the backstay should be making an almost straight line to the masthead - pulling the mast from the corner, not straight back! The higher up the split, the greater this effect. I'm still not sure what I'm doing, but between the fact that my mast section is much stiffer and heavier than the later masts, and already has a halyard exit at the fron of the masthead, I have to wonder if hunter had this in mind to begin with? Crazy Dave - I bet you know the answer!

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
Hey Brian

If that's the way your mast is set up then flying the spinnaker from the masthead should be OK. Keep in mind that if you do that you may need a larger chute than the one for the stock H23 mast. Peter H23 "Raven"

Status
Not open for further replies.