2018 C-22 NATIONALS

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
OK C-22 Fleets, it's already time to start thinking about the 2018 C-22 Nationals which also includes our annual Association meeting. The 2018 C-22 Nationals move out west again, so Fleets out west in Regions 9 and 10 need to start thinking about submitting a bid. We really need a bid submitted by this coming January 2017.

Don
013.jpg

May 11, 2014
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant, AZ
CaptDon01 said:
OK C-22 Fleets, it's already time to start thinking about the 2018 C-22 Nationals which also includes our annual Association meeting. The 2018 C-22 Nationals move out west again, so Fleets out west in Regions 9 and 10 need to start thinking about submitting a bid. We really need a bid submitted by this coming January 2017. Don
Hi Don: when in the year are the Nationals and annual association meeting held?

- Bob

Nov 19, 2008
Hi Don: when in the year are the Nationals and annual association meeting held?

- Bob
Bob,

The C-22 Association Annual Meeting is held during the week of the regatta. Usually the regatta is held in June or July, but that's at the discretion of the hosting fleet, with the Boards approval. The event travels every year, east side of the country, the middle of the country, and the west side of the country, i.e., 2015 Portland OR, 2016 Ft Walton Beach FL, and 2017 Lake Worth, TX.

Don

May 11, 2014
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant, AZ
CaptDon01 said:
Bob, The C-22 Association Annual Meeting is held during the week of the regatta. Usually the regatta is held in June or July, but that's at the discretion of the hosting fleet, with the Boards approval. The event travels every year, east side of the country, the middle of the country, and the west side of the country, i.e., 2015 Portland OR, 2016 Ft Walton Beach FL, and 2017 Lake Worth, TX. Don
Thanks Don. I was thinking that maybe our Fleet 14 here at Lake Pleasant could consider hosting the Nationals; but, Arizona in the summertime - that's a tough sell all the way around. Heck, we locals don't even sail in the summertime here - just way too hot. Thanks again.

Nov 19, 2008
Yeah I agree, but Lake Pleasant is an awesome lake with nice facilities.

Don

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Our club hosted the Catalina 22 Nationals many years ago....probably early 70's. I was the crane chairman that year and we were the first club to be asked to weigh the boats....I believe we had 62 boats entered including a spinnaker fleet....It was a lot of work but even more fun.....I was also in charge of home-made rolls for breakfast each day....we enjoyed 5 great days of sailing including a couple pre-regatta practice days....by the way, the weight of the boats with all equipment removed including
cushions, etc. varied from 2700 pounds to around 1700..pounds. That seemed like a lot for a one-design under controlled
conditions....we were fleet 107 I believe. Great, Great fun! Pat

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Our club hosted the Catalina 22 Nationals many years ago....probably early 70's. I was the crane chairman that year and we were the first club to be asked to weigh the boats....I believe we had 62 boats entered including a spinnaker fleet....It was a lot of work but even more fun.....I was also in charge of home-made rolls for breakfast each day....we enjoyed 5 great days of sailing including a couple pre-regatta practice days....by the way, the weight of the boats with all equipment removed including
cushions, etc. varied from 2700 pounds to around 1700..pounds. That seemed like a lot for a one-design under controlled
conditions....we were fleet 107 I believe. Great, Great fun! Pat
Thats a great story!

Has the C22 fleet rules ever mentioned weight?

That comment about the huge weight range made me smile. Even when a builder is TRYING to build a once-design (think j/boats), hulls can vary by hundreds of pounds. Light boats have to carry corrector weights. On a boats where the builder does not care, it can be all over the place!

Nov 19, 2008
The factory is very careful when laying up the new C-22 Sport, and they pay very close attention when laying up the hulls so they the boats come in as close as possible in weight with each other. However, back in the days when two factories spitting out 6 boats a day each, racing weights was the furthest thing from their minds. The C-22 is not a true "one design" class when you have 4 different keels, different rudders, different hulls, the intent is to promote an affordable fun family boat. However there are numerous highly competitive racing fleets around the country, but we have to remember, the C-22 was never designed to be a racing boat. But you would never know that when you attend the Nationals. There are some GREAT sailors and some tricked out boats!

Don

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The factory is very careful when laying up the new C-22 Sport, and they pay very close attention when laying up the hulls so they the boats come in as close as possible in weight with each other. However, back in the days when two factories spitting out 6 boats a day each, racing weights was the furthest thing from their minds. The C-22 is not a true "one design" class when you have 4 different keels, different rudders, different hulls, the intent is to promote an affordable fun family boat. However there are numerous highly competitive racing fleets around the country, but we have to remember, the C-22 was never designed to be a racing boat. But you would never know that when you attend the Nationals. There are some GREAT sailors and some tricked out boats!

Don
I get that for sure; as you know I used to own one.

I was wondering out loud about why weight boats at a regatta if you are going to nothing about the differences? The only thing it will create is animosity between the owners of the 'heavy' boats and the very light ones.

Last edited:

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
The C-22 Nationals held here were lucky enough to have Joe Becker, (now dec.) as one of the racers.....he was the owner of Tulsa Sailcraft, the largest Cat. 22 dealer in America in those days....Joe's boat, although one of the oldest, was also one of the fastest (with him at helm) and his boat was one of the lightest. Joe was the reigning Catalina 22 champ in America for many
years............although we had a Catalina dealer here in Wichita, many of us bought our Catalina's from Joe in Tulsa...He also
gave us some very informative presentations while here for the Nationals..little things like adjusting the main to spill air into the
headsail to increase speed....I still do that today when I want to go fast......it works...funny how it still works...My personal opinion is that racing is what makes you a better sailor because it forces you to sail your boat to a destination in conditions that
may be less than fun....the excitement you feel when you reach your destination ahead of someone makes your body feel good....Our dealer here in Wichita later won several Cat. 22 Nationals and I'm certain he was paying attention to Joe Becker for those 'insider' suggestions...what a sport! Our club has also sponsored Gary Jobson twice, the last talk by him was at the
Bank of America Center where he filled up their 300 seat auditorium speaking to a very appreciative audience. Patrick in Mecca...go race!