2016 Annual Great Lakes C-22 Cruise

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
If you have never been on a group cruise with your boat, you don't know what you've been missing! Maybe you live too far away to make the North Gulf Coast Cruise in Florida, well, this just might be closer, and being in the fresh sweet waters of the Great Lakes, you won't have to worry about hurricanes, sharks, sting-rays, and the saltwater dissolving your boat and trailer. It's the owners taking the time to put together events just like this that makes the C-22 such a GREAT affordable boat for over 45 years now.

2016 GREAT LAKES C-22 CRUISE

Welcome to the 15th (I think) annual Great Lakes Cruise. This year we will be Sailing beautiful Lake Charlevoix and Little Traverse Bay area from July 24-30. Our itinerary looks like this:

Sunday, July 24: Gather at Boyne City Municipal Marina, launch/rig the boats and take a short sail around Lake Charlevoix. We will have a group picnic, details to be provided later.

Monday, 25 July: Sail approx. 15 miles across (up?) Lake Charlevoix to the town of Charlevoix and dock at the city marina. Dinner will be on your own in town. Show and Tell on your boat. Highlight the tricks you use to make cruising more fun.

Tuesday, 26 July: Sail approx. 17 miles to the town of Petoskey on the Little Traverse Bay of Lake Michigan. Dock at the city marina. When leaving Charlevoix, we will sail under the drawbridge, out the Pine River Channel and into Lake Michigan.

Wednesday, 27 July: Stay another day in Petoskey. Sail over to the town of Harbor Springs or the State Park on the east end of Little Traverse Bay. Explore downtown Petoskey. There is a regatta in Harbor Springs Wed-Sunday with a large number of boats from the Chicago-Mackinaw race the weekend prior. Dockage in Harbor Springs might be tricky but we might be able to get transient docks for a quick walk around town and lunch. We can also hit the Petoskey State Park beach for a swim if the weather is good enough. Christmas in July nautical gift exchange, details to follow.

Thursday, 28 July: Sail 17 miles back to Charlevoix, dock at the city marina again. Visit the places you missed earlier in the week or re-visit the best ones. We may sail down the south arm of Lake Charlevoix to the town of East Jordan and stay at the city marina there. The south arm of the lake is a bit narrower than the north arm but it will give us some different scenery.

Friday, 29 July: Sail back to Boyne city. Group dinner somewhere, either a picnic, or at one of the restaurants in town.

Saturday, 30 July: Haul out and pack up.

If you are interested in cruising with this experienced group of C-22 skippers, drop me a note. I will add you to our mailing list and keep updates coming as the season gets underway. I will provide the contact information for each port for individual skippers to call and make their reservations. I need to confirm with each location that they will take reservations etc and confirm the prices. Most should be around $1.50/ft.

We will charge $25/boat entry fee. This will cover the Welcome Picnic and maybe one other group dinner/event.

For our skippers at Lake St Mary's, Jolly Roger and Alum Creek in Ohio as well as Eagle Creek in Indianapolis and others I may not know, please put the word out to other C-22 skippers in your club. This is a great way to enjoy your boat for a whole week, in the company of other like-minded skippers. And, you will be surprised how much fun you will have. I can guarantee it!!

Mike Bracket
C-22 Fleet 130 of Greater Detroit

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Don, that sounds like a blast! Thanks for the post as I have always dreamed of sailing on one of the Great Lakes. One of these days if I can ever retire, I'll get there. How many boats/people have participated in the past?

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Don, that sounds like a blast! Thanks for the post as I have always dreamed of sailing on one of the Great Lakes. One of these days if I can ever retire, I'll get there. How many boats/people have participated in the past?
Not sure how many usually attend. We've been following this event for years, but don't recall the numbers. Last year we finally got to attend the North Gulf Coast Cruise in Florida. We had been following that cruise also for years. This year will be special because we leave for the NGCC in a few weeks, then stay in the area for the C-22 Nationals and the Association's annual meeting, then later on we'll head up to Michigan for the Great Lakes Cruise, and then we're planning a side trip sailing to Mackinac Island for a few days.

The photo was taken during last years NGCC, I believe we had 21 boats.

AHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the advantages of a trailerable boat!

Don
IMG_2294.JPG