2013 Sippy Cup Race/Chesapeake Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
Let's how many Macs we can get this year! There were 3 last year ( V22, V25 & 26M). This is a fun, relaxed race that is designed to get you out sailing at night. Plan to get a slip at Annapolis City Marina sat night and make a weekend of it!

Friday Evening August 2nd 2013 –
Saturday Afternoon August 3
rd 2013
This is an overnight regatta, held the same weekend as the Governor’s Cup.
Three Fleets – Regatta, Sippy Cup, and Big Gulp. The Regatta Fleet is open to any sailboats – entrants are sailing for fun and bragging rights, will not be scored and there is no trophy. Sippy Cup boats must have a PHRF rating of 220 or higher. Big Gulp boats must have a PHRF rating of 160-219. If you don’t have a PHRF rating, contact us and we’ll determine where you belong.
Race Course – North East River Red #2 off Rocky Point to 4s Flashing Green #91 of the main shipping channel, approx. ½ mile south of the main span of the Bay Bridge.
Hosted by Walden Rigging, this is primarily a regatta "fun race" encouraging small boats and everyone else to gain experience sailing at night.
Post-race party and awards (1
st place for Sippy Cup and 1st place for Big Gulp) in Eastport – we recommend making slip reservations and spending the night. Bring some food to share and BYOB. Let’s celebrate our overnight sailing accomplishment together!
[FONT=Courier New,Courier New][FONT=Courier New,Courier New]Entry fee $10 – entries due by 7/12/13.
For more information and an entry form, contact
Suzanne and Dobbs at:
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Courier New,Courier New][FONT=Courier New,Courier New][FONT=Courier New,Courier New]waldenrigging @earthlink.net
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Courier New,Courier New][FONT=Courier New,Courier New]or 410.441.1913.
[/FONT][/FONT]

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
Man, that looks like fun and it's only a 10 hr drive for us.

Bad timing as we will just be finishing up the North Channel trip with the TrailerSailors that weekend (and we will be a 10 hr drive in the opposite direction).

But, we have been looking for new places to sail and have never been to the Chesapeake area. We were considering going back to Lake Champlain but Annapolis is almost the same distance.

Hmmm - might have to look into this further.

Is that where you sail, Cuscus?

Chris

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
I'd love to do it but I don't trust my tow rig enough to drive up there. I also don't have Any significant night time sailing experience.

Sep 25, 2008
Yes Chris, I call the upper Chesapeake home. It's probably the best cruising grounds for boats like ours (next to the Keys). Plenty of shallow areas to hide from weather and lots of room for some serious sailing. You should really look into checking it out sometime.

Doc, why drive up? Sail/motor you boat to the start. Last year a 26M came up from below Annapolis to race back down.

Nov 19, 2011
I live in Richmond and last year I kept my boat in Kinsale which is roughly 12 miles up the Potomac. It would take me 3 days to get there and 3 days home unless I motored/sailed through the night

I do have a buddy who has a 70's Columbia 24 and he is in Breezy Point. Maybe I can talk him into it. I just copied and pasted the info into an email to him.

Sep 25, 2008
Sorry Doc, I though you were closer north. Yeah that would be a long, slow slog north in a Mac. Me and a buddy delivered a boat from up here to Norfolk. Took us 27 hours, but it was blowin 25-30 the whole time. And yeah, the boat was a Dutch ocean racer, a survivor from the 1979 Fastnet race. That would be great if you could get your friend to enter the Sippy. You guys would have a great time.

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
Man, that looks like fun and it's only a 10 hr drive for us.

Bad timing as we will just be finishing up the North Channel trip with the TrailerSailors that weekend (and we will be a 10 hr drive in the opposite direction).

But, we have been looking for new places to sail and have never been to the Chesapeake area. We were considering going back to Lake Champlain but Annapolis is almost the same distance.

Hmmm - might have to look into this further.

Is that where you sail, Cuscus?

Chris
Hi Chris
Not to change the subject, but where do you launch and park when doing the North Channel. We plan to go there for 10 days at the end of June.
Would love to do the race, but no time. Went to the Annapolis boat show last October. Never seen so many sail boats to look at.

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
Hi Chris
Not to change the subject, but where do you launch and park when doing the North Channel. We plan to go there for 10 days at the end of June.
Would love to do the race, but no time. Went to the Annapolis boat show last October. Never seen so many sail boats to look at.
Our preference is Spider Bay marina in Little Current. Reasonable ramp, good parking and easy provisioning. Have also launched at Spanish. They have this multi-zillion dollar marina (government project) that is little used because they can't afford to dredge the channel. No problem for our boats but anything needing more than 3 feet of water might have issues. Spanish also doesn't have a grocery store or much else for provisioning.

We have been sailing the NC every summer since 2005 so if you want any info or would like to see our pics of the area drop me an email at holdech@yahoo.com

Chris

Nov 19, 2011
The Admiral says she wants to bring the Mac so we'll find a new hauler...this may work out that I get a new truck ;) BONUS!!!

Sep 25, 2008
Doc, your Admiral has a great way of thinking! Let me know if you need launch site info in our area.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
Entry forms and race flyers are available now on their website
http://www.waldenrigging.com/

Hope to see afew of ya from this site this year.
Sorry, the Admiral put the red line limit at 7 hours of sailing. However, if you let me know when you expect to be passing Rock Hall, I may come up to join the fleet in the morning. Do you keep to the West or East shore?

Sep 25, 2008
I usually go down the east side (its the shortest straight line). You can stay out of the big ship channel longer and avoid the possible chop going across the Patapsco. We'll probably be off Rock Hall around 2 or 3 am, if the wind is good. Last year I hit the finish just after 5am. My Admiral feels the same, thats why I enlist others for this one!

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
I usually go down the east side (its the shortest straight line). You can stay out of the big ship channel longer and avoid the possible chop going across the Patapsco. We'll probably be off Rock Hall around 2 or 3 am, if the wind is good. Last year I hit the finish just after 5am. My Admiral feels the same, thats why I enlist others for this one!
Ok, what time do you guys come back?

Status
Not open for further replies.