1998 Catalina 42 Mk2 Exhaust elbow

May 23, 2016
O'Day 1984 23 Island Park, NY
Hi-
In the process of buying a 1998 Catalina 42... survey is done, of the items brought up, the exhaust riser - mixing-elbow and hose to the muffler needs replacing...
Yanmar 4JH2E... downloaded manual... the exhaust system shown in the manual is significantly different than what's on the boat... what's on the boat is a one piece riser+mixing-elbow that looks like an exact match (didn't measure dimensions) for what's available from Catalina Direct...

https://www.catalinadirect.com/inde...iser-yanmar-equippedbr-c-42-12-12quotspan.htm

Can anyone tell me if it's known that Catalina used different parts for this system? Anyone with a 42 Mk 2 (the closer to 98 the better) can show me what your exhaust system looks like (hopefully the same engine)?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Greg,

You may also consider calling Catalina Yachts. Gerry would be glad to chat with you, I'm sure.

Good luck.

May 23, 2016
Thanks... I was thinking about calling Catalina, but figured I'd have a tough time finding anyone who remembered... maybe I will after all...
I'm looking forward to the Catalina42 owner's site.... just can't access anything but the home page here at work...

May 23, 2016
lol... I did call them today, was told I had to call Florida, which was closed already...
I did find somewhere that Yanmar changed the design often, and looking at a picture taken during the survey the part doesn't look like the SS that CD sells, so it just might be original and standard at that moment...
Gerry owns a 42? theen it must be a good choice

May 23, 2016
Thanks but no... Well maybe... The shape of what's in there looks like what CD sells... It's under wrap, so I can't really see if it's one piece or goes to an elbow like in your link. I may have to wait until the boat is mine to uncover it and decided exactly what to do.

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
We just replaced a riser/mixer on a Catalina 36. Different engine, but in that case the new part was not an exact match, but it all fit. Bought parts from Catalina Direct. I would guess that it is the same on the Yanmar. By the way, I have a 4JH3E Yanmar engine on my boat. I'll follow this to see what an expert tells you. Best of luck on your project.

May 23, 2016
Thanks. Boat yard is both a Catalina dealer and Yanmar dealer. They recommend the part from CD, if replacing entirely, but suspect it may only be the hose to the muffler and sea water hose that needs replacing. Going back tomorrow for a closer look and to close the deal... a whole new (to us) boat full of things needing repair... YAY!