1990 Legend 35.5 Holding Tank

nfg2u

Feb 13, 2016
Hunter Legend 35.5 Fort Pierce
Here is what the holding tank looks like that came out of my 1990 35.5 Legend.
I just want to say that I read the book " Get Rid of Boat Odors " and took all the advice. I had very little clean up after I removed the entire sanitation system. My new holding tank showed up today. :)

Attachments

Aug 27, 2012
Hunter 1990 Hunter 35.5 Toronto
Did you bring it out through the hatches in the swim platform? Are you cutting the bulkhead in the rear bulkhead to install a larger one

nfg2u

Feb 13, 2016
I cut the bulkhead, it had gotten wet and was delaminating anyway. Its only cheap plywood. I now have access to my engine batteries and the holding tank. I purchased a 25 gallon holding tank from Ronco. They were super nice and got it to me quickly. Couldn't have worked out better.

Aug 27, 2012
Mine looks the same but I was worried when looking at the bulkhead there appeared to be a hump in the center of the bulkhead when looking at it from the swim platform side and I thought there might be something fibre glassed into that bulkhead?

nfg2u

Feb 13, 2016
There is, the rudder shaft comes up through and the two boards are fiberglassed to it from the aft compartment. You can see the diesel lines coming through on the port side. Hope that helps.

Attachments

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
Did you order a standard dimension tank from Ronco, or custom made? What was the model number or dimensions of the new tank? I need to do the same replacement on my boat and want to get the biggest tank that will fit in the space. Thx.

nfg2u

Feb 13, 2016
Did you order a standard dimension tank from Ronco, or custom made? What was the model number or dimensions of the new tank? I need to do the same replacement on my boat and want to get the biggest tank that will fit in the space. Thx.
I did, it was the B225, its a little smaller than what I saw in the drawings here. I have an air conditioning line that goes down underneath the floor just at the holding tank and needed the extra clearance.

They were super nice at Ronco and gave me a great price on the tank.
Steve

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Got started today cutting out the bulkhead in the aft cabin. I was finally able to open up the area and take a lot of measurements. I settled on the B225 tank as well. I have an Espar furnace hose that runs across the top of the tank, limiting the height of the tank that I can install.

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
I've been remiss in posting the results of my project. Installation went smoothly with no major surprises. I ordered the B225 tank with a 1" vent opening, but decided to use 3/4" vent hose as 1" just seemed like overkill. If I'm proven wrong, it will be a simple matter of putting in a bigger hose and cutting a bigger thru hull opening.
I had to remove the Espar furnace and still need to get it serviced and relocated. There is plenty of room to install it next to the tank before winter arrives.
20160522_111712[1].jpg 20160524_193118[1].jpg 20160524_193136[1].jpg

Aug 27, 2012
I haven't started mine yet. How far down from the ceiling did you start the cut and how far up from the bed deck is the height of that base you have the new tank sitting on? My bulk head isn't rotted so I was hoping to carefully cut the bulk head and reuse the panel?
Thanks Floyd

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
I will have to take some measurements when I go to the boat tomorrow. I had to limit how high I cut up the wall because I didn't want to compromise the floor of the two side lazarettes.