1989 Catalina 22 "New Design" Bulkhead Templates?

Aeolos

Dec 17, 2020
Catalina 22 Conroe
Hi everyone, I am getting Aeolos ready for the season, I think it's time to redo the mid cabin bulkheads. The port side is worrying me. Does anyone have templates to redo them? I called Catalina Yachts and they told me they unfortunately no longer have templates.

I'd be happy to pay someone for them. I know it's not that huge deal to scribe them from the old ones, but it would save me a lot of time to just get them done as my marina is a bit far.

By the way I am attaching a picture of how someone redid the bulkheads all the way to provide some privacy to the port-a-potty. If anyone has tried that and has the template, I'd appreciate it too.

Thanks!

Attachments

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
That second photo is our boat.
I used cardboard to make a template, and used the original as a starting point.

The boat is in storage out in the country under snow, so cant easily trace it.

I have the original style one around somewhere, and could trace it. Not sure how to make a digital file of it easily.

Aeolos

Dec 17, 2020
Catalina 22 Conroe
Wow! I think that that is the smartest way to do it. I would only do that side like that. I wouldn't mind paying for shipping the template and your time.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
BTW, I searched high and low for a marine plywood center when I had to replace some salon panels in our B411. I was able to draw them in Autocad. Chesapeake Light Craft not only had the mahogany faced plywood that was BS1088 (waterproof) but also was able to CNC cut my pieces. 4x8 x 3/4" sheet cut into my 4 shapes, their programming, and shipping approx $320.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Wow! I think that that is the smartest way to do it. I would only do that side like that. I wouldn't mind paying for shipping the template and your time.
Which style ? Original or full height ?
Like i say, i think i have the original laying around.

Aeolos

Dec 17, 2020
Catalina 22 Conroe
BTW, I searched high and low for a marine plywood center when I had to replace some salon panels in our B411. I was able to draw them in Autocad. Chesapeake Light Craft not only had the mahogany faced plywood that was BS1088 (waterproof) but also was able to CNC cut my pieces. 4x8 x 3/4" sheet cut into my 4 shapes, their programming, and shipping approx $320.
Thank you, I just sent them an email, I hope they have a template around to make them.

Aeolos

Dec 17, 2020
Catalina 22 Conroe
Which style ? Original or full height ?
Like i say, i think i have the original laying around.
I'm guessing the full height is out of reach for now? I would much prefer the full height. I really like what you did there.

Aeolos

Dec 17, 2020
Catalina 22 Conroe
Also, now that I'm at it would any of you recommend to use the newer type of chain plates? The ones sold here? Has anyone had success in using these in pre-1995 models?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Yes it is an interesting design. It hides wiring well, I'm not to sure it does a lot structurally but it may.
C22 bulkheads aren't structural per se. All they do is hold the chainplates.

Not a great place for the VHF but the idea is there. Allows air flow and storage but also privacy
Agreed.

It's not a mod I would do personally, as my wife and I are far beyond the need for privacy from each other. I dig the concept though.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
It's not a mod I would do personally, as my wife and I are far beyond the need for privacy from each other.
Weren't you the one who mentioned using the pulpit ?:biggrin: moonlight in the anchorage.

I did it for increased storage mounting.
We dont often have guests :thumbup:
In hindsight, That design with the curtain
is better than a solid divider.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
@Aeolos. Havent found those old bulkheads so far. Unless they are in back of the shed, that i have yet to empty.. I may have thrown them out.