1987 Catalina 22 SK Upper and Lower Shroud Boots

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Assume I can use PVC and just acetone the marking off the tube?
What O.D. dimension do I need to cover the Forward Shrouds that will have quick releases and still accommodate all 6-Shrouds?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I used blue PVC pipe and removed the markings as described. Much nicer than typical white.

Afaik, the quick release levers are big, which may make the front shroud covers a bit wobbly at the top, unless you use caps (cut a slot in them for the shroud) on the top of the pipe.

Didn't bother with getting the quick releases so no idea what their outside diameter is.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
FWIW, turnbuckle boots aren't essential. I quit using them a couple years ago, and I don't miss 'em one little bit. I'm glad they're gone.

Your boat your way, though! I might be in the minority on this. :)

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I agree with Gene. I got rid of the boots that came with my boat.... also those ridiculous shroud wire covers. Quick release shroud levers are very cool, why would you cover them up? If you have cotter pins, convert to cotter rings. Consider "quick pins" or "push button pins" for attaching the forestay and backstay is another option for sailors that drop their masts often... (i.e. trailer sailors)

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Thank you all: Onward and Upward, infinity and beyond....... I'll look for a different pin arrangement for sure
Can't wait to get this boat in the water. Sun is too hot so need to get earlier starts and get this endeavor completed

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
FWIW, turnbuckle boots aren't essential
Yup. In my case the forward shroud covers are for both sail "protection" and as turnbuckle covers. (I previously just taped the turnbuckles)

In theory the covers, which can spin, supposedly help the headsail come across but at this point I am not sure they are really that much better than without.
Some boat have those little wheels on the shrouds but i have no experience using them.
I have leather spreader boots which have been durable and work pefectly.