1987 Catalina 22 Bilge Pump Location

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
This boat does not have any sort of manual bilge pump.
We currently have it on a trailer while updating some other issues and notice that every time in rains here on the West Coast of FL summer downpours there is water throughout the v-Berth Cavity, under the forward Dinette seat and along the keel housing. I bailed 4-Wash Buckets of water out just after the last rain and have no idea where it is coming from.

The Pop-Top ,Forward Hatch and Companion way are down tightly. The leak must be coming from the deck and yet no evidence as to from where.

After crawling around the entire boat pumping water out of all the compartments, I still can't determine where an Electric Bilge Pump would be placed. You would think it was aft in a deepest location and yet most of the the water in in the Forward Berth Cavity.

This under the Forward V-Berth Cavity being full of water and not flowing back to the lowest bilge elevation may be due to the boat on a trailer that is not level as if in the water. Regardless, if I could get the boat level where would I expect a bilge pump be placed. Secondly , any suggestions as to where the water is coming form while on a trailer and not in the water.

Saw a fey Cockpit drain comments that the bulkhead. This boats cockpit floor drains out the rear, not in drains placed forward.

Your thoughts, opinions and suggestions would be certainly appreciated.

Last edited:

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
the Rub rail, stanchions, window (especially the aluminum frame ones) often leak, some chalk along the hull inside will help narrow down The culprit, the true fix would be to re-bed every suspect fitting. Remove the item over drill the holes fill with epoxy to seal the core then drill and re-bed with butyl tape. As for bilge back by the volcano is where I have mine.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Dang, that's a lot of water!

The anchor locker drain-hole comes to mind, given the magnitude of the leak. It was a problem in '87-'88 boats, including mine. It causes the anchor locker to leak into the V berth area. If your bow is sitting low on the trailer, all the rain that lands on the deck or cabin roof could wind up there.

You have two teak access plates in the salon floor, right? That's your low spot if you want a bilge pump.

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
I have the same problem with my 73, though not as much water as you. I didn't have time this spring (too many boat projects) to re-bed everything. I did most things I suspected, some of the stanchions, any fastener in the cabin that had any corrosion on it, etc. Didn't really help. I pulled ~ 5 gallons out of it before I launched.

I installed an automatic bilge pump back by the volcano as well, and ran a new discharge hose through the port locker to the stern. Installed a new through-hull above the water line back by the motor mount. Seems to work well enough until I solve the problem.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Where is the Volcano located?
That is the name for the tube that the keel cable goes through the bottom of the hull.

On my 87, any of the minimal water i get always sits under the wood cover in the cabin sole near the table. Almost any water near the.volcano ends up there.

The c22 kinda sucks for a bilge pump. There are spots that prevent water from draining between areas in the hull.
I believe that some people have made holes so that it can drain to the lowest spot in the hull. That would likely involve lining the drain holes with epoxy. I havent bothered looking into it.