1987 Catalina 22 Battery

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Looks like I now need a battery and not sure how a battery for this boat may be similar in spec. as a car battery.
The Battery is only servicing a Depth Sounder and basic on board lighting. The Motor does not have an alternator but does have a solar panel that was supposed to be charging this battery. I am checking the voltage on the battery this morning along with whether this solar panel is even working. Updating a 30-year old boat has become something short of a nightmare for me. Rigging, Electrical, Hull Oxidation, etc.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Looks like I now need a battery and not sure how a battery for this boat may be similar in spec. as a car battery.
It’s not - if you currently have a “car” battery, it’s no wonder why it died. You need a deep cycle battery. And stay away from anything labeled “marine” battery. These are supposedly dual-purpose use batteries which are actually good for neither. Any decent deep cycle battery will easily start any small engine and, with a decent charger, provide ample service for use onboard.

Updating any 30 year old boat is an easily anticipated and expected need.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Yeah man, I'd keep a G24. That's all we've ever had, or wanted. (Granted, we have 60 watts of solar, but we didn't always.)

I'm a fan of good ol' flooded lead acid batteries. We currently use a Trojan 24TMX (very spendy) but before that we had a Duracell Ultra, which was cheaper and almost as good. On the low end, you can get an Everstart from Wallymart on the cheap, nothing wrong with them for the price.