1987 Catalina 22 Anchor Rode

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Okay....I'm still learning all the "Ropes" here. Hauling in the Anchor with this Pre-Spliced 3-Brade Line that came with the Danforth Fluke Anchor is impossible to haul out without knotting up out of the loop I created that will actually fit in the Anchor Locker with the Anchor in the locker.

From You Tube Articles, it looks like the Anchor Line I have is not best suited for hauling out or in anchors. From what I can gather, it appears I need a "double braded nylon line" that does not float. Haul it in and coil the line in a figure eight versus a loop that does not uncoil well.
Every time we go out sailing there is either another adjustment or unexpected issue like this that is cutting in on our sailing time. As a result
I have to run around the house begging my wife to "Kiss The Captain" .
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I have the New Design with the anchor locker in the bow is that what your using?

Either way don't coil the line at all. I use regular 3 strand line with about a boat length of chain on the end and can easily deploy or pull the hook alone with the main still up. Just use a hand over hand technique to "pile" the line in the locker. when it gets full take an open hand and push it down into the well. Then pile on some more. I have 250 feet of line and 25 feet of chain easily in the anchor locker this way with room to spare for the anchor, dock line, bungee to hold the hatch open, and when trailering the boom vang I use to raise the mast. Never had a major tangle and only once a minor one (that I can remember) but that was all operator error. I have anchored literally hundreds of time with this technique. Trying to coil anchor line to make it pretty is what leads to tangles and troubles. Just feed it into the locker , bucket, or whatever and let it fall as it will. then you should be problem free. On larger yachts there is no one coiling line off the windless!

PS: this is the same technique used and taught for rope rescue in climbing circles.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Further to what @LakeShark said..

3 strand/laid nylon is what is commonly used for anchor line.

Nylon is very strong, flexible, resists UV damage and is usually inexpensive.

Nylon does not float... which is very important because the anchor line needs to sit below the surface and curve down to partially lay on the bottom. Boat anchors work when they lay flat on the bottom. When they are pulled upwards they lose grip on the bottom. (Which is why you break an anchor lose by pulling it upwards) ( chain is often used to keep that anchor lying flat)

3 strand laid rope is used for anchor line because it stretches to absorb shock and resists abrasion.

Braided rope sags more than laid rope which is not wanted for anchor line.

Z-laid-and-S-laid-rope.jpg

A good book on sailing, or more specifically anchoring will give more details but that is it in a nutshell.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I agree with Lakeshark and Leeward. Three-strand is what you want for an anchor rode.

You never want to "coil" any rope, in the traditional sense. Coiling puts one twist in the line for every coil, which is what causes those tangles. Figure 8's and "over/under" coils do prevent twists, but you don't need all that hassle when you're busy hauling up an anchor. Just let the rode pile up, more or less how it wants. Kick it down in the hole as needed. :thumbup:

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
I am greatly appreciative of all the help this new or once a sailor 30-years ago is for all the simple, no nonsense and common sense intellect you all share in an amazing response time. We'll "Keep Fighting The Good Fight"
"Overcome, Improvise, Adapt" Former Marine.......... and this "Moto" of mine sure extends itself to SAILING
Again, thank you to all that responded so attentively

Dec 29, 2021
Catalina, Tanzer C 22, 16 10910 Starr SC
My C22 doesn't have an anchor locker and just piling it on deck where my jib would go when down doesn't make sense. Where do you put your anchor line when sailing?

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
I use a nylon bag to store my lunch hook for stern anchoring, just pile it in bag as I pull anchor up including the chain, reverse to drop (actually lower) anchor. Big anchor in vee berth is in laundry basket with chain and anchor just dropped in like the lunch hook. Easy peasy, no hassle , never had a tangle problem. Going on 55 years with this method .

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
So off the stern not off the bow?
In my version the crate stays in the cockpit where it is stable and largely out of the way-- I take the anchor and a couple of coils forward by hand-- toss it over and then take the bow cleats. Just because I'm paranoid I take the aft cleats as well just so I don't accidently send the lot of my rode overboard.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
I single hand so for short stays, easier to lower anchor from stern cleat, and have access to motor control's to set it, then later just walk it forward to allow normal arcing from bow into current or wind if any. Just reverse when raising anchor, move to stern, pull up and store in cockpit til dry and then into starboard lazarette.