1987 Cat22 Sink Drain

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
So........I'll start by assuming the "Keel Trunk" is the two small teak panel cover areas in the floor of the Cabin.
If I am correct, the attached drawing from the Owner's Manual shows the sink drain tube dumping into this area.
So every time you use the sink, you need to pump out this keel trunk?
Why have a sink

Attachments

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The keel trunk is the structural section of the hull that the keel sits into when retracted.
The sink drains into the water/lake/ocean.
A hose runs from the sink to a drain hole/fitting in the keel trunk.

Just pull the acess panels below the cushions and you will see how it is run.

"Why have a sink ?"
Same reason you would have one at home. We are always rinsing coffee mugs etc. in it.
It also makes a great place to put things while sailing, so they don't fly around.

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Thank you.......I've been in that area looking for the Keel Lock Screw, I'll look more carefully regarding the sink drain.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
If you remove the garbage lid and bin, it gives additional access. Especially for where the hoses connect to the sink and faucet. The access under the cushions is better for the end where the hose drains out the hull.

I think the whole idea of sailboats is to make small spaces that you need to get into. hehe. Doesn't seem to matter if it is a 22 fot or 47 foot sailboat. :)

Our sink is continually full of stuff. It spends more time as a temporary storage bin, than a sink, because they are so handy. We have done that on every boat we have sailed.
When we use it for rinsing dishes or filling the kettle for hot water, we always seem to have to empty it out.:)

Depending on the previous owners, you may need to replace the hose to the faucet, ours was ugly inside. Instead of trying to clean it with bleach, we just bought a new hose.

Last edited: