1987 Cat 22 SK Lazy Jacks

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Me again, boat is still on trailer.
Been practicing stepping the mast ( Accomplished )
Got both Sails up and adjusted and feel like there is an issue with these Lazy Jacks I inherited............
I am aware of what the Lazy Jacks do, but there appears to be a questionable issue with not being able to get a good sail foil because the lazy jacks appear to be limiting the sail adjustment to get a smooth air foil.
Do I need to loosen the jacks so that they are away from the Main Sail?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I had lazy jacks on my Hunter 31 and never recalled any issues with mainsail at all points of sail. What do you mean by "questionable issue with not being able to get a good sail foil because the lazy jacks appear to be limiting the sail adjustment to get a smooth air foil"? Who is the lazy jack manufacturer and do you have their instructions on installation and adjustment? This is along shot but do you have any slack in the lazy jack lines after you raise the mainsail? If not, you might adjust your lazy jack lines per the instructions on pages 5 and 6: Microsoft Word - FITTING-INSTRUCTIONS-FOR-LIGHTWEIGHT-LAZY-JACK-KITS.doc (bartonmarine.com). Of course, consult your specific manufacturer's manual, if you have or can get one. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I wouldn't bother with them on a Catalina 22. Seems like they'd be more trouble than they're worth.

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
I'm actually seriously considering them on my '73. I leave it on a mooring all season and it would make dropping the main single-handed a lot easier. Now when I drop it, I have to try to flake it on the mast and tie it, at least to some extent. Otherwise it's all over the place and I can't see to pilot the boat back through the channel and to my mooring.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Catalina Direct sells a lazy jack kit for your sailboat as do others.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Once the sail is up you pull the jacks forward out of the way with the drawstring. Some systems use bungee to pull them out of the way.... but.. imho... for a 22 ft boat... you don't need 'em anyway. The worst thing that happens is the sail drops on the cabin top ... just grab a hand full of sail and lash it to the boom with a short piece of line till you get somewhere you can flake it properly. I've never used them on my 27 footer... sailed on many other boats... large and small... with them.... they're handy.. but shouldn't restrict your sailing activity. Just makes it easier to manage the sail when shorthanded.

As long as the rest of your rigging is set up, you need to go sailing.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
use a centipede sail tie bungee system, drop sail and bungee it quickly, fold and flake later at leisure, as single hander been using it for 40 years with great success.
centipede sail ties.jpg

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Thank you all for the help. Previous owner called back and advised he never used the Lazy Jack, off it comes as soon as we lower he mast for travel to launching.
This centipede rigging may work..............

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Get a half dozen 4 ft x 1 inch strips of nylon webbing for sail ties. REI is a good place to look. Have them cut at an angle so you can thread them through cringles, or any other small hole. Cutting them with a hot knife will prevent unraveling. Keep a couple nearby, in the coaming box for example. Whenever you have to go forward to handle the mainsail, stick one or two in your pocket. When the sail comes down.... use one tie to lash the front half of the main to the boom ... takes like 10 seconds... then you're back in the cockpit where you can secure the back half while steering with tiller between knees. Go about your business of getting the boat docked, or anchored, or just in a calm place.... then you can get the sail properly flaked and tidy. As you gain confidence you'll be able to stand at the mast and control the drop so the "flakes" are in correct, alternate, order... which will save you time and effort later on.
I'd like to recommend you avoid commercial, bungy type sail ties... especially the ones with the plastic balls on the end... It is certain, (ask me how I know) they will eventually bonk you in the face or catapult off into the wild blue yonder at the most inconvenient times. I prefer a single slip knot... don't tie them too tight.. just enough to keep the sail in place for the cover to fit over.
The sail ties will have many uses... so carry one in your pocket whenever you leave the cockpit....you just never know when you need to lash something down. Have fun.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I'd like to recommend you avoid commercial, bungy type sail ties... especially the ones with the plastic balls on the end... It is certain, (ask me how I know) they will eventually bonk you in the face or catapult off into the wild blue yonder at the most inconvenient times.
Those little bungee-balls are a practical joke from Satan.

Confession story about sail ties: when we first bought our boat, I found a whole bunch of 3' pieces of 1/4" rope in the lazarettes. What the heck are THESE stupid things, I thought, as I scornfully tossed them in the trash.

Soon after, I was in West Marine, buying bungee-balls. Oh, goody, I thought. These will be SUPER handy!

Soon after THAT, most of those bungee-balls had been donated to Poseidon, and the rest had been used to inflict blunt trauma on my face and eyeballs. And I was in back in West Marine, buying 1/4" rope, and cutting it into 3' pieces. ;)

Mar 30, 2014
Catalina 22 Indiana
I use something similar to the centipede… from Sail Care… called the “Sail Jockey”… available thru this link. It just hangs out on the boom… out of sight until I need it... and works great.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
OMG I'm dying ... yes yes , and yes-- everything that was just iterated is absoltuely 100% universally true: practical joke from Satan indeed

Amazon.com : Sewn Sails Sail Ties 48", 1" Polypropylene Webbing, Box Stitched - 6pc.Set, Assorted Colors : Sports & Outdoors

Best thing i ever bought, right after the Poseidon donation and face numbing blunt force trauma
That's a good deal.... most important is that they come in colors... because.. if you use them to tie in reefs, having them color shaded will remind you to remove them before releasing the clew and tack reef lines. If you don't there is an excellent chance to impart some damage to the mainsail. Remember the corners of the sail are heavily reinforced, since they care most of the load... while the middle part and it's flimsy grommet patches aren't.