1987 Cat 22 Sail Main Sail Maintenance: Boom Vang

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Well, the next project is removing the Main Sail form its bag, laying it on the yard and inspecting the condition. I believe the sail was replaced 2009-2013, not sure.
Assume we start looking for tears, whether it has batons and that the cleat does not need sewn
If all is good, what kind of cleaner works best. I hesitate to mention Simple Green....everyone went sideways regarding the use o this product on any boat......................?
The Head Sail is on a Furling, so one we step the mast, that will be the next surprise.

My Cat 25 had a Boom Vang and evidently , as the Catt 22 Owners Manual states, the Boom Bang is Optional and this boat doesn't have one. As described by the Catalina Direct Support folks, the Boom Vang prevents the boom when to strong starboard or port from raising because the Cunningham can only grab so much sail in these positions, thus the need to level the boom in these conditions.

Your thoughts

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
That’s pretty old for sail and I infer you don’t have much experience in determining if it’s blown out. If correct, though would be best served taking it to a sail loft for inspection to determine condition and useful life

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Assuming you have a Dacron sail... Inspect the cringes and re-enforcement panels. What you don't want is for one to pull out. See if the leach tensioning lines are free to move and cleats are installed for them. See if the battens are labeled and insert them. Make sure the closure works and securely holds the batten in. When you sort out which one goes in each pocket number them if they are not marked. The sail cloth should be stiffish - crunchy, sorta . If it's like a cotton shirt it is aged. Note if there is a blot rope and inspect the sail slides or lugs to see that they are well attached. They may be sewn or have snaps. Particularly if they are plastic get a sense if they are UV damaged. Note if there is extra bolt rope not sewn to the sail. It's good if there is.
Use mild detergent to clean and rinse well. I don't know much about Simple Green.

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
I sailed for a season without a boom vang and didn't really miss it (though I come from sailing sail fishes). This year I replaced all the running rigging and added one. Mainly because everyone says you really have to have one. So far, I don't really notice the difference, but we've only gone out a couple of times this year. One of those we didn't even attempt to hoist the main, and the other the winds were so light I don't think it would have mattered.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Had too many things to spend money on early and skipped the Vang-- just put it on this season and very pleased. It is something you can postpone-- but your main shape will suffer, you will never get the leech pulled taught -- windward performance will suffer. Worth the investment but downhaul/Cunningham and reef points would be a priority.