1987 C22 SK Fuel to Outboard

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Just another hurdle with this boat "Old Boat" update.
How does a Fuel line or for that matter a Engine Connection to an on board battery get to and from.
Do you need to install Grommets in these two lift up Fuel and Battery Areas to accomplish this.
Is this issue a recognition of poor design....................

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Fuel line typically goes out through a scupper.

I had to install an inspection plate to access my rudder gudgeons, so I ran the alternator wire through that. I don't think many (if any) small outboards were connected to batteries in the 1980's, so I can't blame Catalina for lack of a grommet:

IMG_1891.JPG

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
mine goes out the rear vent from the fuel compartment
renew vent cowl and repalce hoses below .jpg

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Fuel line typically goes out through a scupper.
+1

@John Marrone Unless I am mistaken, that is exactly what Catalina intended and had in their manual.

Our cable from the motor to the battery goes through a cable port thingy (looks like a super mini version of the vent @Jacktar uses) that was installed by the previous owner.

Not sure if installing a cable it is worth it. The output from the Tohatsu is evidently low enough that it is almost pointless to bother using it for charging. Someone here posted data and if I remember correctly, unless you are running at full throttle, it doesn't do much. We find our solar panel is much more useful, because it is charging all the time to varying degrees. That said, easy enough to have both.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Tohatsu sail pro 6 hp comes with a voltage regulator, you only detect charge rate across battery terminals when you have a load, anyway having it recharging the battery when docking or running and using lights and depthfinders really helps out.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Tohatsu sail pro 6 hp comes with a voltage regulator, you only detect charge rate across battery terminals when you have a load, anyway having it recharging the battery when docking or running and using lights and depthfinders really helps out.
Yeah it has a regulator.

My system was wired so i could see charging rate from both solar and outboard. Now It's only setup to show solar to simplify wiring.

Considering how little the engine is used.. and the low output... especially at a normal speeds where you dont get max output....it still seems somewhat less of a priority to bother with. Switching to LEDs and installing a solar panel is much more effective.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Man, I've never even been able to tell if it's actually contributing to the battery's state of charge at ALL. :frown:

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Man, I've never even been able to tell if it's actually contributing to the battery's state of charge at ALL. :frown:
Considering that, based on your videos, you have occasionally had to motor very long distances, that says something IMO.
For us, so far, it's rare that we have not enough wind. Usually it is the opposite.

Jun 4, 2004
-catalina -22 fresno, calif.
Take it out the scupper, no holes to drill, easy access, no tripping, easy to store away, works just fine.