1985 mac 25 bottom dimension

Nov 19, 2018
macgregor m25 puerto vallarta
Hello folks, can someone out there tell me the square footage of the bottom of the Mac 25 for bottom painting & any suggestions on what product would be best for a boat that is in tropical saltwater full time. Also how many coats would be recommended. Also, should a primer be used & if so what is recommended. Thanks in advance for any replies !

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Bottom paint questions are very common on this forum. What you will hear regarding "best paint" is to ask other boaters at local marinas what works in that area. It really seems to vary a lot by region.

I have had three different 26 foot boats so I can tell you that you will need about 3 gallons if you want to put on two coats. I use an ablative and I like to get two different colors. When the "under color" starts to show through, you know it is time to thinking about a bottom job.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
When you investigate your paint products, there will be instructions on how to estimate your boat's bottom square footage. On my 27 footer with fixed fin keel, a gallon of modified epoxy (hard shell) will give me two coats with an extra layer on leading edges of keel and rudder. I leave my boat in saltwater full time, year round... hard shell paint is the choice for that because it works without the boat moving... I would not consider ablative in my situation. If you're going to haul out at a boatyard they may have conditions.... such as type of paint allowed, sanding restrictions and they may require you purchase the paint through their on site store.... but many boatyards in Florida are less regulated than they are here in Calif.

You can extend the life and performance of your vessel if you clean the bottom on a regular basis. Shallow water and a long handled soft bristle brush will usually suffice if you don't wait too long between service... 4-6 weeks. Hard shell paint will stand up to clean much better than ablative... which is designed to slough off as the boat moves through the water.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
What @Joe said is correct about cleaning. I keep one of these on my boat...
1574208862527.png

and when I anchor out, I float around the boat and scrub the bottom.