1980 Mac 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Earl Keim

I am considering the purchase of a 1980 Mac 25. She appears to be in great shape, the glass and hull look fine. The owners have had me sailing twice and the boat seems dry and handles well. The owners apparently took excellent care of the boat. Sails cushions and halards have been replaced. The decks seem solid and the hull looks well enough to receive complimets from other boat owners. I have concern about the boat being so old, however other models of earlier years seem to be fine. Is there anyone sailing a Mac of the same year or older who can ease my anxiety? Again, I first inspected the boat, the owners were not expecting me to be there, it was dry and appeared to be in good shape, it is in the water and doesn't have any musty or damp smells. The sails seem fine and not uv rotted, they were just professionally cleaned. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. What do you think, is the boat too old? Thank you

C

Chip Giles

The condition is most important

The condition is the most important factor. If the price is right, go for it.

S

Scott K.

Good shape, buy it

Sounds like the owners took good care of the boat. Chip said it best: if it is in good condition, go for it.

A

Art Tirrell

condition of keel

If the boat is kept in the water there may be a hidden 'gotcha' lurking down there where you can't see it. Keels on swing keel boats are notoriously hard to maintain because in order to even so much as inspect the thing it has to be lowered all the way. I'd take a swim with my facemask and check the keel out. If its rough and scaling (and I'll bet it is) the boat will be SLOW, and it will be hard to make it 'point' at all because the flow over the keel will be interrupted by the deterioration. Now, this is no reason not to buy - but it IS a good bargaining chip to negotiate with. Another thing to check is how much sealer the owner has plastered around the keel pivot bolt (don't forget to check both sides). The more there is, the more likely it is that you'll be replacing said bolt - and or - repairing the deformed holes in the glass that caused the leak in the first place.

M

Mike

Old Macs

Sounds like a great boat. Mine is an old, old Mac 25, a 1974. I think I'll keep her. First boat I ever had that made me wonder how in the hell do you ever get rid of it? These things seem to last a long long time. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.