1979 Oday 23 Crack near centerboard pin

Jun 5, 2024
Oday 23 Hempstead Bay Sailing Club
I recently purchased an Oday 23 that shows the usual chainplate and compression post issues. I’ve removed the bulkhead and post to be replaced. I also got the centerboard removed. The centerboard is worn down and I plan to build it back to a rectangular shape with fiberglass.

After removing the centerboard and inspecting the interior of the trunk, I found a quarter sized hole in the centerboard trunk, where the pin would put pressure to the side. Picture is attached.

Does anyone know what this interior material is? Ever seen this before?

Thank you

Attachments

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
As far as I know, the keel is a cavity filled with filler (likely broken into small pieces after all these years) and is separate from the rest of the boat. The bolts holes on the bottom of the keel that keep the metal c/b brackets in place lead directly to the inside of the keel. The likely repair will involve grinding a hole into the side of the keel for access. It sounds scary but it's not that bad. I repaired some cracks in mine after -30F temps caused some water to freeze and expand in it. Previous owner screwed a bilge pump into the bilge without any sealer.

From what I can remember, there's a piece of metal at the edge of the c/b beneath the fiberglass. I don't recall if I found any wood when I ground into it but I'm leaning towards no. I found foam in my rudder but none in the c/b. Measure the trunk and c/b width as you repair it to make sure it's not too wide.