1979 L25 Interior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
Good morning all. Here's a summary of what's taken place over the past three months.

Removed head- and hull-liner material

Removed portlights and deadlights with new portlights

Sanded, primed, and painted interior

Epoxied horizontal rails with 1/4" x 20 T-nuts on 6" centers just below the hull to deck joint. I'll use this to fasten future hull-liner material and install hanging storage nets.

Replaced three cabin dome lights with four goose-neck lights

Removed the 15 gallon water tank. For me I believe it will be less work to bring aboard a 5 gallon insulated water jug than maintain a water tank. Besides it opened up a lot of room under the cockpit floor.

Rerouted the cockpit drains, which dragged along the hull up to the thru-hulls to a more direct route directly underneath the quarter berths. I still need to replace the thru-hulls, cockpit drains, and 90-degree elbows with all marelon fittings.

Removed the old carpet glue

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I'm wondering if the 15 gallon water tank was a form of stability. Might think about that. I personally don't know, but that would be 120# missing. Maybe put a couple of 60# weights to compensate?

Other than that... SWEET. Well done. Now, when you are finished, you can work on my L27PS. ;) LOL

Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
My wife will have no problem finding 120 pounds of "ballast"(;-) HDD will more than likely be down on her lines this coming weekend. Steve

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Looks great, except for the cockpit drains. The plumbing must cross as when you will otherwise take on water whenever you are heeled.

Feb 17, 2006
I think he means if you are heeled to the port, water could flow in the port seacock into the cockpit, since it will possibly be below the water line. If crossed there in no way for water to get in. My drains are led aft to the transom so they will drain regardless. But I have a 27, not a 25.

hz293

May 29, 2009
Catalina 27 Kalama, WA
I'd like to remove my water tank also. I'd have no problem adding a120# replacement. Where is it and how did you remove it? I've tried to find it but couldn't.

Harris

Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
Good afternoon Harris. I have a 1979 L25 and the tank is underneath the cockpit and easy to remove. I removed the filler from the cockpit floor, an "L" bracket immediately in front of the tank, and the hose leading from the tank to the sink. Then slid the tank forward and out.

My sailing buddy Duane "Novelman" has a 1975 L25 and I believe his tank is in the keel, which is harder to get too. Hope this helps. Steve

hz293

May 29, 2009
Catalina 27 Kalama, WA
Thanks Steve. I also have a 1979 L25 but it seems my tank must be in the keel. I'm going to let it be. I guess that if it's full, I'll have more ballast.

Harris

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Thanks Brian

I think he means if you are heeled to the port, water could flow in the port seacock into the cockpit, since it will possibly be below the water line. If crossed there in no way for water to get in. My drains are led aft to the transom so they will drain regardless. But I have a 27, not a 25.
That is exactly what I mean. On my L25 the exits for the cockpit drains were just barely above the water line so the slightest heel would put one under water. Also, there is only about a foot of height difference between the entrance to the cockpit drain and the exit, so if you bury a rail in the water heeling you will be taking a bath in the cockpit. I strongly recommend you add some drains out the stern if you take it to the ocean. I planned to, but sold the boat instead.

Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
Thanks Bob for your insight. I understood what you meant earlier this morning. Yesterday was spent in the sun...working on the 'boat and I wasn't thinking too clearly when I posted my question. I'd thought about putting a larger drain into the lazarette with a plug so one doesn't get their feet wet like what happens on the 1975 L25s. Steve

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
That was exactly my plan Steve. There were slight indentations in the cockpit floor aft below the lazarette on my 82 so it seems like they were designed in, but not utilized.

Feb 17, 2006
Steve, if you go aft, make sure you do not cross the drain tubes, and make sure you have a slope down so gravity prevails. Of course, I know you knew this already, but if you happen to be in the sun when you start thinking about it... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.