1979 L25 Cockpit Drains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
Good afternoon all. Replacing the cockpit drains and associated thru-hull fittings has been on my to do list for some time. I''ll be on business travel in a couple of weeks and can stop by West Marine and pick up my replacement parts on my way home so I removed the starboard side this afternoon and here's what I found.

For starters the hose was held on by a single, non marine, SS hose clamp and there was no seacock/ball valve. I wasn't able to thread the nut all the way off and ended up making four cuts with my jig saw and bent the tail section in to remove the nut.

The thru-hull fitting was pitted and "very thin" in places. It probably wouldn't have taken much force for a hole to wear through and begin taking on water.

My plan is to replace the cockpit drain and thru-hull fitting with marelon fittings and add a seacock or ball valve, whichever is shorter. The thru-hull enters the boat at a slight upward angle and I'm afraid that the length will be to long before hitting the underside of the aft berth. They probably don't make an 22.5 degree angled fitting for marine use:cry: So I may end up cutting a rectangular panel into the aft berths. This would give me easier access to the valve should a hose accidently comes off while on the water.

If you've never inspected your thru-hulls before, I recommend that you check your Lancer as I suspect I'm not the only on out there with faulty fittings. Steve

BTW. The thru-hull is on the left (what's left of it) and cockpit drain on the right. SAC

Attachments

Jun 16, 2010
Lancer 25 Newbergh
I have an L25 and my cockpit drains into the stern motor well and then out of the stern. The picture below is pre-reglassing and while I was at it I opend up the small drain holes to speed draining.
I’m curious what set up you have a picture would be great if you have one
Thanks Bill

Attachments

Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
Good evening Bill. I'm guessing that you have the first version of the L25, while mine is a 1979 Mark IV. Good Old Boat just reviewed the L25 and I replied about some of the differences between the L25, Mark IV, and Mark V, which I also posted in this forum.

The original L25 cockpit drains aft into the lazarette, while the Mark IV and possibly Mark V drain outboard from the front of the cockpit. This photo is was taken in the port locker, underneath the aft berth, and shows the thru-hull fitting and hose, which connects to the cockpit drain. Steve

Attachments

Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
Good evening all. West Marine didn't have the marelon fittings so I ended up with bronze. I also cut an access panel, which I'll cover with lexan once I've hooked everything up. I had to go with a smaller-diameter bronze drain to fit into the 2" cockpit recess. This still required turning the diameter down a bit on a lathe and also cutting a taper to fit properly. For now I'll put add additional cockpit drains on my to do list. Steve

Notes:
1. When I attempted to remove the port thru-hull fitting the nut cracked because of corrosion.

2. I primed and painted the lockers before installing the thru-hull fittings, but removed the paint around the thru-hull before installing the 4" backing plates. I still need to touch up around the backing plates.

3. I'll upload photos of the cockpit drains later.

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
Here are some updated photos of the drains. I know that Bob suggested that I cross the lines, but that cuts down on my accessing the space underneath the cockpit sole. To date I haven't had water enter the cockpit while on either tack and will cross the lines if I find that situation changes in the future. Steve

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.