1978 Lancer 29 3 Keel Lead or Steel?

Dec 12, 2014
Lancer 29 3 Lake Lanier
I am considering buying a Lancer 29.3. The Catalina 22 I previously owned had a steel keel and was so ugly constantly crying rust tears. I want a lead keel this time so it will not cry rust tears and be so ugly on the trailer.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Neither. I believe it is integral to the hull, so it is fiberglass filled with lead or steel scrap encapsulated in epoxy.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
No, rumor has it that they may have used one or the other. With epoxy resin.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
First thing is to check the bilge for big nuts and bolts to see if if it is a bolt on or integral keel. I saw a photo of a guy repairing his keel and it clearly was integral. They tend to be much thicker, but if the boat is in the water that is tough to check. The owner should know. I know a good surveyor for sailboats in MA/RI if you need one. As far as steel vs. lead it is impossible to tell as the pieces are encapsulated in resin. The bilge for such a keel is much deeper than what you are used to, so there is no real way to tell that I am aware.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Okay, I checked (as you should) the knowledge base on this site and the 29 equipment list says the keel has 3000lbs of internal ballast. It doesn't say what they used though.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Oh...does the a boat have a saildrive? Parts availability can be entertaining so be sure to do your homework if it does.