12v power loss

Jwhy

Feb 11, 2013
Catalina 320 Kilmarnock
Today I disconnected each of the connectors on the terminals of my four six volt batteries. I cleaned the connectors and terminals one by one, reseated the cables, and added RCP2 corrosion protector.

When I was done there was no power to the panel. I looked for an in-line fuse without success and rechecked the battery connections. The autopilot that is wired directly to the batteries had power.

Any ideas?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Disconnecting your batteries may reset a battery charger to default factory settings.
I know my Inverter/Charger will not restart until I press the magic start button.;)
Jim...

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Battery (on off, 1/2) switch ?? or a connection at the switch or the connection at the panel from the on/off switch.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
All wires properly reconnected... NO reversals? As @Don S/V ILLusion wisely stated, a hand held voltmeter is the tell all tool. Essential to all wiring projects.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I cleaned the connectors and terminals one by one, reseated the cables, and added RCP2 corrosion protector.
What is RCP2? I tried to google it but didn't come up with anything related to corrosion protection. Do you have any specific information about it?

Feb 27, 2004
SunTracker 18 DLX PartyBarge Hoover Reservoir - Columbus OH
JWhy are you sure that RCP2 is conductive and not just a protective coating?

Jwhy

Feb 11, 2013
Catalina 320 Kilmarnock
It gets more confusing.
I worried about the corrosion protector and checked the across the battery terminals and got 12v. I also get 12 volts to the Perko switch. With the switch on, I have power to the engine panel, but not the panel at the nav station.
None of the 12v circuit breakers on the panel tripped. I get power from th Perko to the circuit breakers and out of the circuit breakers to the bus feeding the various switches. I have power to each of the switch terminals on the circuit breaker side. But none of the switches advance the current downstream into the circuit. Jumping the current from the connector on one side of the switch to the other did nothing.
I’m missing something.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
On my boat, if I disconnect the Batteries, I lose all power to panel.
When I connect them back, I still see NO power to the panel
Why?
On my boat I have a Battery charger and Inverter that is connected to the entire power system.
Taking batteries off, shuts down the Charger automatically and isolates shore power to be just 120VAC.

On reconnection of the batteries I must "restart" the Charger again.

Do you have a on board Battery Charger?
Jim...

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
It gets more confusing.
I worried about the corrosion protector and checked the across the battery terminals and got 12v. I also get 12 volts to the Perko switch. With the switch on, I have power to the engine panel, but not the panel at the nav station.
None of the 12v circuit breakers on the panel tripped. I get power from th Perko to the circuit breakers and out of the circuit breakers to the bus feeding the various switches. I have power to each of the switch terminals on the circuit breaker side. But none of the switches advance the current downstream into the circuit. Jumping the current from the connector on one side of the switch to the other did nothing.
I’m missing something.
Sounds like you are missing your ground (negative) connection to the batteries from the panel.

Jwhy

Feb 11, 2013
Catalina 320 Kilmarnock
Yes Henry, I used a negative terminal on a battery to test all the connectors on on the panel.

James I checked the charger and did not find a reset switch. The indicator lights were working and showed power flow.

Feb 27, 2004
SunTracker 18 DLX PartyBarge Hoover Reservoir - Columbus OH
May I suggest checking the continuity between the negative battery terminal and the negative buss at your panel.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
did not find a reset switch
I have two...
One on the charger that is a pain to see it.
Second on my Remote Charger panel that i have to press to light up power to my panel.

Do you have the make or model of your Charger?
Jim...

PS: Once it is restarted, no more reset required.

Jwhy

Feb 11, 2013
Catalina 320 Kilmarnock
I’ll check the negative terminal to the buss next.
I’ll also pull out the charger manual and look for a reset.