12 v coffee makers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
Normally use 12 volt appliances whenever possible - any thoughts on coffee makers? Seems easier to plug in a coffee maker than start a fire and perk coffee - comments:

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
If you are not hooked up to shore power

Your batteries are going to have to be very robust to let you make coffee and then do any thing else. My procter silex coffee maker is rated at 1000 watts, on a 12 volt system that would be an 80 ampere draw for however long it takes to mae coffee.

Oct 25, 2005
Catalina 30 Banderas Bay, Mexico
Don't hold your breath ...

I have a 12V coffee maker that I hardly ever use. It takes f o r e v e r to brew coffee. Typical 12V appliances use a cigarette type plug rated about 10A max ... 10 Amps @ 12V is only 120W A typical home machine is rated 1000W If your home coffee maker takes 5 min to make coffee, the 10A 12V coffee maker will take 8 1/3 times as long, just over 40 minutes to make coffee ... :( When I lived aboard that damn 12V coffee maker made me late to work on more than one occasion. It's MUCH faster to fire up the LP stove, boil water and use a french press! I'd offer you the 12V coffee maker that I have ... but I've made enough enemies on-line already without adding another ... :D

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
I think that's

about four candles.;) Typical 12V appliances use a cigarette type plug rated about 10A max ...

J

Jack

Sunday

I recieved a an inexpensive 12 volt coffee maker on Christmas, I'll be trying it Sunday morning for the first time and will keep you posted on how it works out. Jack

P

Peter

Had one of those

12V coffee drip things. And, as others have said, it took forever to to heat the water. I finally got rid of it. Wife had a 12V hair curler - same problem. 12V appliances that need to generate heat don't seem to work very well.

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
Coffee Maker

Get a drip coffee maker at WalMart...much faster than the 12v and uses no 12v power.

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
I Perk My Own...

...in a Farberware perculator and it comes out great on the boat. An 8 cupper (makes small cups), though, is not enough for two of us.

P

Pam

We've Tried Them All!

I bought the captain one of those lovely 12v coffee makers as a gift. We had quite a laugh, waiting almost an hour to watch our coffee brew. Sold it at the consignment shop, now someone else is still waiting for their coffee. We tried the French Press method - good coffee, but a mess to clean up...grounds everywhere. The old-fashion percolator is the way to go. They sell these great little fold over filters that contains the grounds and make clean up easy - makes a great cup of coffee too.

Nov 23, 2004
Columbia 8.7 Super wide body Deltaville(Richmond)VA
Propane camp stove.

I have a small two burner propane stove that I bought expressly for the purpose of making coffee. It takes 3 or four minutes to boil a pot of water, and 5 minutes for it to drip thru the filter. The small Wal Mart cylinders last forever, and cost about 2 bucks. The stove was 15 bucks at Wal Mart.

Feb 4, 2005
Catalina C-30 Mattituck, NY
How I brew

This is how I use my 12V Coffee maker: Fill the coffee maker with coffee and filter...then boil water on my alcohol stove and pour it over the open coffee maker lid! Otherwise it takes an hour and a whole lot of Amps! Rob

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Melita 6 cup filter and an insulated carafe

Paul: We had electric coffee pots on board but they did not work when away from the dock. We used coffee bags with hot water (still a good backup). We finally ended up getting a Melita 6 cup cone and pour boiling water thru the coffee/filter and into the carafe. Makes just about as good a cup of coffee that you are going to get. It only takes about 8 minutes for a kettle of water to boil and then you wait for the water to seep thru that good ol' Starbuck grind of your choice.

May 1, 2005
Beneteau Oceanis Boca Raton, FL
12 volt coffee maker.

Peter, Did you get rid of the wife or the curler? "Wife had a 12V hair curler - same problem." Happy New Year!

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
Used to Use Melita

Then we decided to perk it. I will admit that Melita tasted better, but eventually decided that pouring the water into the cone was too dangerous. Used to do Melita always at home. Hint: Use the 9" square filter bags to make a better perked cup and easier clean-up. Never tried the 12V coffee-maker because of its reputation for taking too long.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Sold the 12V. coffeemaker at a yard sale,

and went back to a teakettle & french press. Trick is to make coffee past the 3 mile limit so you can clean the French press overboard, this is where heel helps with KP duties. Just be careful, could start a whole new thread on sailors lost overboard while dumping coffee grounds.

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
Here's To Peace, Coffee and Hair Curls

My very resourceful and beautiful wife/1st Mate uses a butane-powered curling iron she purchased at WalMart. It uses a cigarette lighter type of butane refill. To stay "on topic", we use a 12-cup perculator heated by our gas stove, then pour it into a thermas-type carafe to keep it hot. BrianW

May 17, 2007
HUNTER 25.5 St. Augustine
coast Guard vs. coffee ground dumper

I'm all for protecting the environment but I'd love to see a suit by the Coast Guard against a coffee ground dumper! Now that would be a great story. I love my french press. I'll take my chances.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
ditto on the Melita Cone ...

but a french press is 'so much better' when it comes to making 'fine' coffee. Some of the newer french presses are double walled polished stainless and hold in the heat for quite a long time. The receiver of the Melita is glass ... and eventually you WILL break it. Percolated coffee .... NEVER unless your taste buds are paralysed.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
dumping

coast Guard vs. coffee ground dumper I'm all for protecting the environment but I'd love to see a suit by the Coast Guard against a coffee ground dumper! Now that would be a great story. I love my french press. I'll take my chances. Last summer after the anchor was down and all was secure we opened a bottle of wine and a partial bag of corn chips. The chips were stale and the sky was apparently empty, NO brids, I dumped the bag of chips and before they had drifted ten yards, the gulls were on the scene cleaning up my garbage. HOW DO THEY DO THAT?

D

Dave

One of my favorite topics

I'm not sure why, but I love making coffee on the boat. Probably because it either means I have stayed on the boat overnight, or I am getting in a late season sail, and need the warmth. I never tried the 12 volt coffee maker, since it would take up too much space (cabin space is at a premium on a 22 foot boat), and since I don't need any more demands on my battery. Also, I don't want to wait 40 minutes for my coffee. I have done both the percolator coffee on an alcohol stove and the drip through the cone approach. I actually prefer the former, because it fills the cabin with a great aroma and I like strong coffee. (I know, you can get strong coffee with drip coffee, but it doesn't put out the volume of coffee-ladened steam). I'll have to look into the metal coffee press, since I do like to make coffee in a press at home. My favorite however is making a cup of espresso with a portable 1 cup GSI espresso maker. It is quick, it's most excellent and I highly recommend it if you want a real jolt in the morning. Oh, and of course I will contact the Coast Guard the next time I have an accidental coffee ground spill overboard. Dave s/v Hakuna Matata O'Day 222

Status
Not open for further replies.