Tsunami warning

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I got a text this morning about a low-level tsunami warning for the west coast from California up through BC. We're being advised to stay out of the water, off beaches, and I would assume out of marinas that are exposed. The first waves landed around 8:30am and they say they could get larger over the course of the day.

Any west coasters see anything out of the ordinary?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
We are on our boat in Long Beach, SoCal. Since it was high tide, we decided to go out to breakfast to be sure the car didn't get wet. we came back two hours after the ETA. Nothing unusual except perhaps some surge.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Looks like a nuclear explosion but I would guess many times larger. Kind of points out to who's really running the show, and it certainly isn't us.

• Ha

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I rode out several in the Ala Wai in Honolulu. In the beginning, I joined the crowd going out and coming back, but that was a catastrophic madhouse. So, we decided to stay in the slip, inviting friends down to help tend the dock lines. We went up, down and up again several times, but nothing extreme. Seemed much safer than the madhouse.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
The information contained herein is being rebroadcasted by pretty much every media site on this coast.
Actions to protect human life and property will vary within tsunami advisory areas.

RECOMMENDED ACTIONS - UPDATED
-----------------------------
Actions to protect human life and property will
vary within tsunami advisory areas.

If you are in a tsunami advisory area;

* Move out of the water, off the beach, and away from
harbors, marinas, breakwaters, bays and inlets.

* Be alert to and follow instructions from your local
emergency officials because they may have more detailed or
specific information for your location.

* If you feel a strong earthquake or extended ground rolling
take immediate protective actions such as moving inland
and/or uphill preferably by foot.

* Boat operators,
* Where time and conditions permit, move your boat out to
sea to a depth of at least 180 feet.

* If at sea avoid entering shallow water, harbors,
marinas, bays, and inlets to avoid floating and
submerged debris and strong currents.

* Do not go to the shore to observe the tsunami.

* Do not return to the coast until local emergency officials
indicate it is safe to do so.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
That occured to me too. I have no idea if that's near shipping lanes but that upward force would probably cause a supertanker to suddenly have a flight number.
I'm thinking that all of the gas bubles would drop the density of the water so much that the ship would just suddenly sink.\
Bloop.... gone!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Posted the warning we got for Everett on the SBO PacificNW Cruisers forum this AM.

No one called me to report anything unusual in Everett. I am heading up there on Monday to see if my boat is still there. I expect it is.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I'm thinking that all of the gas bubles would drop the density of the water so much that the ship would just suddenly sink.\
Bloop.... gone!
Good point. The same thing happens in the whitewash at big wave surf sights, like Jaws, here in Maui.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
This report just received. Looks like all is well here in the Puget Sound.

Port of Everett: UPDATE: The tsunami advisory for Washington state, including the Snohomish County coastline, has been cancelled. According to information shared by our local emergency management agencies, there have been no reports of damages to any areas in Everett or the Snohomish County coastline. There were also no incidents or damage reported at Port of Everett facilities.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
This report just received. Looks like all is well here in the Puget Sound.
That is why we're called protected waters for a reason. Hard for anything significant to reach us being so far inland. Not to say it is impossible, just highly unlikely with so much mass between the coast line and, say Everett, et al.

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Went down to check on my boat. As expected the tsunami gates were closed.
Tsunami gate.jpg

So went over the escape stairs.
Tsunami stairs.jpg

All ok inside the harbor but some of the aquaculture equipment outside was torn up.

If you look at the photo of the stairs you will see two colours of concrete.
The dark concrete used to be at the above sea level datum that the white concrete is now. The 2011 tsunami cause 400 kilometers of the coast to sink 1.4 meters. That was due to the weight of the water along with the subduction of the Japan plate under the Pacific plate. Everything (sewage, roads, bridges, rail lines, airports and harbors had to be rebuilt up the the higher datum.
A huge infrastructure repair and rebuild.

gary