3M 5200...how to make it non-stick on bolts

Jan 4, 2021
Catalina by Jaguar (UK) Catalina 22 Swantown Marina, Olympia
I need to pass some bolts through a couple of pieces of plywood that will sandwich 3M 5200. I need to be able to remove the bolts at a future date. What should I put on the bolts to make sure any adhesive that might get squeezed onto or into the bolts holes won't stick and make them impossible to remove? Graphite anti-seize? Light oil? My question is a bit obtuse on purpose so as to ensure focus...I don't want to start a debate about using 5200. LOL

More info....On my 1980 C22, I'm updating the chainplates as per the OEM recommendation made in the mid-1980s. Part of the improvement is to add a "stringer" or bulkhead that will connect the chainplates to the hull. Per Catalina instructions, the new 3/4" bulkhead should have 3M 5200 on the edges where it abuts the hull and where it sits flat against the fiberglass liner. The chainplate is then connected by adding a stainless strap that is bolted through the OEM bulkhead and the new bulkhead. I'm at the point where all the pieces are cut and fitted, including the bolts. It looks like it really will beef up the original design considerably. I'm planning to use the chainplate bolts to clamp the "glue joint" where the new bulkhead meets the old and the liner, using 5200 as recommended. The new bulkhead is permanent but the old bulkhead and chainplates need to be removable, hence my concern about 5200 sticking to the bolts. I'll be careful to keep the stuff back from the bolts a bit but thought putting something on the bolts to ensure non-stick might be a good idea. The attached pic shows the OEM bulkhead, the OEM chainplate with a new extended T-strap drilled and ready to be bolted across the bottom. Those bolts sandwich the OEM bulkhead, fiberglass liner and new bulkhead (underneath & out of view). Keeping the glued joint clamped during curing will make the strongest joint.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 36_1980 Bass River, NJ
I have used plastic /saran wrap in different fiberglass curing situations, aluminum foil sounds like a good idea also

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I use micro-crystalline wax to do this when working with epoxy. I've not worked with 5200 doing this so take that for what's it's worth...

dj

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Vaseline, but better to drill the holes after as Dave says.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
lag bolts or through bolts?
Upon rereading your edited post of Tuesday my question now makes no sense as it would appear that you're using a through bolt to make a temporary clamp that would be removed along with the original chain plate. You mentioned an included picture with your OP that I cannot see on this thread. Any chance of reposting it?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
This sounds like a first time project.

I learned that trying a mock up or test bed is a best practice when trying something new.
A board glued together with 5200, and several screws passed through the board using wax, foil, vaseline etc should provide the research answer.