Is island hopping on Lake Michigan too much for O'Day Daysailer or Spindrift Daysailer

Jan 24, 2022
O'Day Daysailer Sister Bay
Greetings! I'm considering buying an O'Day or Spindrift Daysailer I or II. I plan to keep her in Door County, WI. For those who know the waters, would I be asking to much of this design if I wanted to sail her from the mainland (Ellison Bay, perhaps) north to Washington Island, Rock Island, possibly to Summer Island, MI. Another trip I considered is from Fish Creek, WI to Chambers Island and back. I first learned to sail at age 12 and have sailed Lasers, Barnetts and similar dinghies on Lake Michigan in Chicago and have done my share of open water swimming (even through Death's Door in DC!), so I have some understanding (and respect) for the power and bigness of the water in that area. I'm not planning on making these trips to start off either. I'm going to do some shorter coastal trips before doing any island hopping/camping. I know in ideal weather the trips I mention are do-able but am I limiting myself too much by sailing a centerboard craft instead of something with a 'centerboard keel' (if that's the right term) like a West Wight Potter 15, Montgomery 15, Siren 17, DS-16 or Newport 16, Gloucester 16? Is there a significant difference when the seas turn a little rough? I've researched safety measures to take and will become even more familiar as I plan these trips but wanted to see if the Daysailer is the right craft for the job. thanks much!

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Looks like there are plenty of nooks and crannies to slip into, none too far from another. A Daysailer would certainly seem capable of doing some nice 'expedition' or 'raid-type' cruising. A boom tent would make for comfortable sleeping on board if the island is too rocky for tent pegs. With the centerboard Daysailer a pretty hefty 575 pounds it should be able to handle a bit of weather. The centerboard could be useful for getting close to or pulling up on shore for unloading supplies too. Being able to put in a reef might be useful if things get crazy, as they can sometimes.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
A small motor, or even a pair of oars, is something to consider.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There is a Spindrift Mariner 19, another O'Day model, that would be perfect for that type of sailing. Very easy to get in and out of the water on a trailer, especially the centerboard models. They have a nice berth setup, later models sleep four, and their cabins keep you dry. They have a strong association. There are a number of members on your lake.
Home - Mariner Class Association
The list of fleets

but I agree those boats all sound capable. The WWP has a very good reputation, especially.

-Will

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Perfect boat for the area . We dragged our Oday up there some years back . Lot's and lot's of places to explore . Pick your weather window and go !

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Did you make the plunge and buy the boat?
Is this the O’Day with the little cuddly?

I traded my 400 lb centerboarder for a fixed keel 1500 lb boat because I frequently found the wind and waves in Lake Michigan bays too much for my little boat.

Of course now that my boat is heavier, the winds always seem to be lighter!

Sep 18, 2022
Macgregor 25 Cincinnati
I have yet to find a boat that doesn't enjoy the lakes. You can honestly make such trips in anything, I just did a circumnavigation of Mackinaw Island, with an overnight on Round Island, in an 11ft Snark. 15kt with gusts, 3-4ft swells, we ate it up!

But, as you know, the wind driven waves come steep and fast, and your vessel selection should take into account -getting water out of the boat-. The experience of sailing in fun conditions becomes much less fun if you don't have a self-bailer. So prioritize boats that keep the water out, and get the water out, without you leaving the tiller.