Dufour 31, your thoughts

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
Hey everyone, it’s me again asking what you think about boats I’m looking to buy.

The Pearson 30 I was looking at had some repairs to do but not too bad but has a gaz engine, would prefer diesel. 8000$

The cherubini I went to look at is a MAJOR renovation project and is located 4 hours away.
6000$

the Dufour 3800, 31 feet, I’m looking at is more expensive but is in pristine condition, it is about two hours away but it’s in the states on lake Champlain, so I would need to get it transported back here, no biggie. 24 900$

but I don’t know much about Dufour, I know they are French made boats, my uncle had one since 1975, now his sons have it since my uncle passed, I’ve been told it’s a fast boat, but don’t know anything else

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Based on these options I would purchase the pristine Defour 3800 SailboatData.com - DUFOUR 3800 Sailboat based on your uncle and sons experience and avoid a gasser and major repairs. After a marine and diesel engine surveys then you will know if it is the right sailboat.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Dufours have a generally good reputation. Your experience with the Grampian has taught you a lot, perhaps the most important lesson is that cheap boats are expensive.

Do get a good survey, boats can look good and have a lot of hidden flaws. On a boat this expensive it is not uncommon to hold a portion of the price in escrow until the boat is in the water and the engine run. If this is a brokered boat, the brokerage has an escrow account for this purpose.

Bringing the boat to Ottawa will make a good vacation. A nice time sailing or motoring up Champlain and into the St Lawrence. Bonding time for Dad and son. :)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Just took a look at the SailboatData.com info. German Frers is a well known yacht designer. He designs fast boats that are fun to sail.

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
Dlochner just not sure I’ll pass under all the bridges lol
The boat is with a broker

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Sounds like a no-brainer if it will pass inspection. $24.9k is a LOT for an old boat, however. $ 10-15k might do it.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I agree about the Dufour, after all it's only your $$$. :):):) Really will be less or the same in the long run. Don't forget import duties if it hasn't been here before. Depending on your province, 7 to 12 % of declared prices.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
@fred1diver I looked at boats in the Lake Champlain area a few years ago when I was in the market. That was when Mr. Trump killed free trade so the duty added I think it was 9.5%. Since this is a French made boat, you won't be able to take advantage of free trade and you will need to factor in the duty. That's a big premium to pay and there are a lot of nice boats in that price range within Canada. Dufour's are nice boats but I'm not sure I'd pay the duty premium for that one. For instance, there is a nice looking Aloha 34 in Midland for around the same price 1979 Aloha 34 Sloop for sale - YachtWorld
There are even a couple of Dofour 31s in Ontario for similar pricing (including duty) 1982 Dufour 31 Cruiser for sale - YachtWorld

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Careful- though they're both 31 feet long, the Dufour 31 is not the same boat as the Dufour 3800 that the OP is considering.

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Two hours drive will help you make up your mind.
Love at first sight is the way I go.
And it hasn't really let me down.

Ya got any photos for us to drool over?

gary

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'd rather have the Atomic 4 than the Volvo diesel.
Frers is a good designer.
The numbers for the 3800 do not indicate a rocket ship. SA/D of 17.11 would be underpowered. Disp./length of 231.56 is a bit chunky. A 10.66 foot beam on a 25.26 water line is a little fat. On the view of the cabin layout I believe the ends are pinched in IOR style. That is a dated design. Combined with a masthead rig it may be a bit to handle. Note that in the picture of the boat sailing there are 2 people on the rail and the sails indicate a reach. Comfort ratio of 20.55.
Draft 5.58 would be too much in my old sailing ground.
For me, I wouldn't pay 24.9 k for a 40 year old dated design and I would take a pass.
The Pearson numbers are remarkably similar. It is an even more dated design. But Bill Shaw boats were known for their easy going ride. Nothing extreme. Maybe a bit boring. But they would take care of you. As SBD.com says over a 1,000 were built and Bill Shaw owned one for 10 years. Comfort ratio of 24.25. But I would try to get the price down. 8K for a 50 year old boat seems a bit much. It would have to survey perfectly.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Go with the pristine boat, always. The Dufour looks like a good boat but I would measure it against the "standard" in that size range (imho), the Catalina 30. More than 6,000 were produced, bigger interior, great support available, sails well, easier to sell at the end. For 25k you should be able to find a C30 in excellent shape.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Dufour's are a boat that gives a pleasing ship line to the eye. Sleek deck, sharp bow, slender lines a boat that will bring a smile as you see her in the marina.

There build from 1980 to 84. I found this one for sale in Maryland 1983 Dufour 3800 Racer/Cruiser for sale - YachtWorld

A boat that is 40 years old is difficult to describe as pristine.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
the Dufour 3800, 31 feet, I’m looking at is more expensive but is in pristine condition, it is about two hours away but it’s in the states on lake Champlain, so I would need to get it transported back here, no biggie. 24 900$
To alleviate any confusion I believe that the list price for this boat is $19,667 (USD) versus $24,900 (CAD)
Dufour 3800