Tsunami warning

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Glad everything turned out ok. The report I read said there was about a 1meter wave that hit Japan.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
barra de navidad and banderas bay had current changes and rapid water flows but nothing more. mazatlan has nothing..we are out of the warning area.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
No problems in Pensacola, Florida. :laugh: But I remember the Christmas tsunami of 2004. :yikes:

I saw a tweet from the NWS showing the pressure wave crossing the USA. The barometric readings spiked up as the wave approached and declined afterwards. Somehow, the wave did not hit central Texas so I missed even that.

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Hi Ken.
Actually the wave in Kochi was recorded at 90cm.
There are a couple of factors that would have led to the damage to the boats.

The tsunami gate would have been remotely or automatically closed. This is on the land side.
A warden would have been on hand to prevent anyone entering the harbour, so if any fishers hadn't tied off extra lines they would not have been permitted to do so after a certain hour. Japanese obey the rules when it comes to this kind of situation.

The other factor s that this type of undersea volcanic activity triggering a quake has never been studied before.
The ancient one on Santarini in the Med (Atlantis?) and the 19th century Krakatoa eruption were before modern science.

Usually a tsunami is caused by volumetric displacement on the seabed. Either the seabed drops and water rushes in, or the seabed is jacked up and water rushes out therefore creating the undersea pulse which becomes a tsunami. Incidentally "tsunami" means harbour wave. In the massive Chilean quake in the mid '60's the fault dropped 4 meters over a length of 800 kilometers. A massive amount of displacement and energy.

Back to Tonga. The eruption was a gigantic instantaneous blast. This blast pulsed into the sea from the air. So the wave was created on the surface. It created a wave characteristic quite different from an undersea quake.
When the water arrived at kochi it wasn't so high but it was very long (carrying a lot of water for its height) and very fast. That is what capsized the boats.

sorry for a long winded answer.

In the below photo, compare the eruption to the clouds.

gary
1642483143904.png

Last edited: