Options for new main halyard

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
My 2004 Hunter 36 has a traditional main and currently has a very stiff main halyard that I'm guessing is NER Sta-Set X.

Maybe Sta-Set X is still best for a new halyard but I see that NER VPC is a bit cheaper and also supposed to be good for halyards. I wonder which is best? Is there much difference when just cruising?

What are people using for their main halyard?

Thanks,
Andy

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Hunter manual page 61 recommends 7/16" Samson XLS EXTRA for the main halyard Table of Contents_Large Boats (sailboatowners.com) replaced by XLS Extra T with a tensile strength of 7000 lb Samson Rope Product Information (defender.com). NER VPC 7/16" has tensile strength of 8500 lb and 1.4% elongation New England Ropes VPC (sailingservices.com) vs. Strata-Set X 7/16" of 7700 lb and 1.95% elongation New England Ropes Sta-Set X (sailingservices.com). VPC is a good cruising halyard choice for its high tensile strength and low elongation. In the meantime, you might find this article on the same subject helpful New halyard: Sta-Set or Sta-Set X? | SailNet Community. Just replaced my spinnaker halyard with New England Ropes Viper 7/16" with 11,000 lb breaking strength, albeit it a performance rope and maybe overkill for your application.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Don't get Sta-Set X. I build my halyards using a single braid dyneema core, such as samson amsteel... sheathed in a polyester/dacron cover. They are fun to build and give your boat a custom, high quality look. Also the high tensile strength of dyneema means you can reduce your overall line size, making it more affordable. For instance, you can go one size smaller... to 3/8 from 7/16... meaning the halyard has less friction through the blocks(a big plus if they're routed back to the cockpit)... so you'd use a 3/8 dacron cover over a 1/4 amsteel core. The outer sheath only covers the back half of the halyard... the part that is handled and cleated. The amsteel, which carries all the load) runs full length. At the connection end, I built long, luggage tag eye splices for the headsail halyards. Very easy splice, instructions on samson site, minimal tools needed. Most recently I built a mainsail halyard, no eye splice, I use a "halyard knot" tied directly to head piece cringle. I'll give it a chance, but may eventually change to a shackle.... still use the knot over the eye splice though.

Any hoo, Andy, I'm just rambling on because I've got so much pleasure over the years doing this. One more thing, I think you'll find it actually cheaper than buying a ready made halyard of the same quality.
Bottom line......... anything but Sta-Set X. Take a look at MDX if you desire a "club" level replacement. Good Luck.

• Helpful

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I have both NER VPC and NER V-100 halyards. The V-100 is overkill and harder to grip. I love the NER VPC halyards. A little knobby on the surface giving them a little better grip.

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
Thanks everyone.

I did do quite a bit of research before posting so am aware of Sta-Set X's reputation and some of the other issues raised. I've also reached out to NER to see what they say. Not sure if they'll reply.

I have mostly been using NER when replacing lines, but did use Samson for a new jib halyard based on the owner's manual. I'm sure its fine but for some reason it didn't feel as nice as the NER lines. For a jib halyard, it doesn't matter. But for the main halyard, I'd like to to feel nice as well as do the job. Not very rational, I guess.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Definitely no on Sta-setX.

I would second the recommendation of VPC for a main halyard, I used it for my last spinnaker halyard and it served very well and I would choose VPC for my next main.

See for advice

Last edited:

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
You might take a look at Robline Admiral 5000. It is a dynema core with polyester cover priced between VPC and Endura from NER. I use it for my main halyard on a Hunter 38 with in-mast furling and am happy with the result. Eye splice and shackle to the head of the sail.