Etiquette pet peeves

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
One reply to: Forum Help (Site Talk) \ rgranger
mislabeling the thread topic somewhat, comes to mind
as far as bringing up old posts how is any newbie going to find out about boat babe unless somebody mentions Her
I haven't even got past post #11 and I'm beginning to think that not much but everything seems to irritate me from time to time.
USING ALL CAPS ! From Justin NSA(sorry sometimes it's that my fat finger can only manage hitting the right letter is all I can do.)

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
One reply to: Forum Help (Site Talk) \ rgranger
mislabeling the thread topic somewhat, comes to mind
as far as bringing up old posts how is any newbie going to find out about boat babe unless somebody mentions Her
I haven't even got past post #11 and I'm beginning to think that not much but everything seems to irritate me from time to time.
USING ALL CAPS ! From Justin NSA(sorry sometimes it's that my fat finger can only manage hitting the right letter is all I can do.)
Ah, the Boat babe. Sweet memories.
PS: Google knows where she is....

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
If it were not for being in my dotage, I'd have made specific notes on the responses and issues a post that purposefully denotes all of the other comments.... just to be a PIA....

Merry Christmas.....

and a ...... Happy Festivus....

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
what about us really old guys........AVM????
( an analog guy being forced to live in a digital world :-( )
I still used one until a few years back when my garage was broken into.
And don't forget slide rules. We put men on the moon with them. I still have mine :wink:

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
scallywags and scoundrels are my preferred company. not much interest in yawls polite preferences. do understand, i was trained for life by very kind and gentle people of great wisdom. however, i choose another path, yep, i became a sailor. it would not work for most of yawl, not saying it was it was a good choice, but it worked for me.
it was a sailors life for me. :cool:

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Posters who either ignore or do not follow the logical progression of a thread’s discussion and just “butt in.” Of course comic relief is sometimes welcomed (many witty folks in here!), but I note a lot of verbiage for its own sake. Not adding anything.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
And don't forget slide rules. We put men on the moon with them. I still have mine
Best display of a brand new slide rule was behind someones desk Glassed Framed On the Wall.

"Break in Glass in Case of Emergency"

Jim...

PS: Actually it was many IBM 360's using Double Precision Floating Point Math. Slide rules aboard Apollo.

Jul 9, 2013
West Wight Potter, Nimble 19,26 Backyard
I dunno, I've purposely violated the "Responding to a post over 6 mos old" one a couple of times with good results - not because I wanted to necessarily just comment, but because I had some info which could advance the thread (e.g. "Does anyone know...", and there wasn't a fully satisfactory answer). I frequently dig up old threads rather than - and here's what should be a pet peeve - posing a "new" question which has already been thoroughly covered. I've also PM'ed a couple of people on "dead" threads to get more information, and that has been very helpful.
I will reply to an old thread about a problem I am having to discuss my version of the problem, in the hopes that later replies will provide good guidance.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
If one is replying via phone and using Google dictate, then paragraphs and punctuation is extra work :)
Ahah! And all this time I thought you were all just uneducated. In the future no one will be able to write a coherent sentence without electronic assistance. I almost lost my ability to write cursive. My grandchildren cannot even read cursive.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If one is replying via phone and using Google dictate, then paragraphs and punctuation is extra work :)
It’s also extra work to try to read through the gobbledegook so created. If you wish folks to actually read and follow it, then please write it correctly. It’s not always easy to know what that “word” was supposed to be! Coherent writing is tough to begin with. No good writing is presented in the syntax of disjointed speech (um um um), etc.

Last edited: