Update

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Hi all,

Just wanted to check in with an update. I will be quick because I do not have the use my left arm to type anymore.I am learning speech to text software but it is going along slowly. Nigel Calder made an insanely generous donation to Marine How To.com which allowed me to purchase the Dragon Speech to text software(which is very expensive).

The good news is I survived the stroke which most people who have a stroke of my magnitude do not. None of my doctors can explain why I survived or how my speech survived so well. My memory speech mental acuity etc. have all survived 100% intact. Other than what is referred to as some lingering "Hemispatial neglect", which is recovering very well.The damage is mostly physical, left side paralysis of my arm leg hand and a little bit of swallowing and speech difficulty(onlywhen tired), but none of that too bad.

As a result of the stroke I will likely never be back to sailing/boating.As has been mentioned here our boat is for sale(Will be listed in the spring) My business is also closed and I don't know that I will ever be able to get back to that either. For those that are local here in Maine, I do have a lot of inventory left over that I'm clearing out for local cash pickup sales only. Lots of Sterling power gear,lots of. Balmar equipment etc.

As all of my Doctors have said, it is nothing short of a miracle that I survived this....

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Since you mentioned selling your boat here on SBO, I will have to ban you . LOL J/K

Forget the boat, just get your health back in order. Just because doctors say you can't, doesn't me you can't. That, to me, is just a challenge. Keep working hard on getting better.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Hi Rodd, very very happy to hear from you! That's quite an image and it does seem like a miracle that you survived, and if there's anyone who can prove that the doctors are pessimistic, it's you. Thrilled to see how far your recovery has come.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Rodd, so great to hear from you. I think if anyone would pull off a miracle like that you'd be the one to figure out a way to do it.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Welcome back to the forum Rodd! Best wishes for continued improvement. PT, and more PT. The human body is amazing, you are proof in where you have landed thus far post-stroke. As others suggest, keep a positive outlook, set yourself some short and mid-term goals on that road of recovery. We look forward to more updates.

Unfortunately I am not local to Maine. Is there someone on the forum able to assist in shipping of orders? If so, I am glad to assist in inventory clearance.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Where one door closes another one opens.

Great to see you found Dragon Speech Software.
Keep up the energy. Best wishes
John.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
If anyone can figure a way to rewire the circuits in your brain for a complete recovery, it's you. Every day is another % better.

All my best wishes and prayers towards the best possible recovery.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
It's fantastic to hear this update directly from you Rod. You inspire us all. Everyone is delighted that you're getting through this challenging time. :thumbup: Joe

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Glad you are on the mend, Rod. You have been missed and lots of prayers have been offered up on your behalf. Keep getting better every day. We are all pulling for you.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 36_1980 Bass River, NJ
Rod, it is wonderful to see you personally post on site. You are healing in your own way and that is truly a blessing to you and your family.
Your mind is sharp. The years of wisdom and knowledge, you are still capable to share with those around you. So take care of yourself and do life in the pace that is afforded you.
Best regards,
Joe
s/v Trinity

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Welcome back and be well Rodd. I'm sure it is hard, but keep the faith, be strong and seek the support you need.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
As Tom J said,
Good to have you back. The SBO is not the same without you!
My father had what the doctors described as a "massive" stroke. He suffered memory loss, left field blindness (he couldn't recognize things on the left of an image), speech problems and more. We watched him improve every day for months, his speech, the field blindness, his memory were all returning to near pre-stroke conditions.

You got this. It will be better every day. We all look forward to reading more of your posts for a long time to come.

-Will

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Rodd, your recovery really is inspiring! It's already clear that your purpose is adaptive. Enjoy all the well wishes and support, you've earned it all!

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
What’s inspiring is the strength it take to remain positive. I can’t visit this site without thinking of how you were doing. Thank you for checking in. My thoughts and prayers are with you. It’s a miracle you’ve made it back!