Almost to Hawaii

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
My daughter wisely decided to get some ocean crossing experience before joining me on Kolibri next summer for our San Francisco to Hawaii adventure. She is crewing on the Sea Dragon, a 72' adventure tourism / research vessel sailing from Ensenada to Honolulu. Great experience for her budding marine biology career and PhD aspirations as well. It's looking like they will reach Honolulu on 12/17.
1639443720647.png

1639443768556.png

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
My daughter's day job requires her to go snorkeling twice a day in a marine conservation district to do research (surf size permitting). I'm more than a little jealous. Fortunately I can usually tag along for the afternoon research sessions.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
I have a Marine Biologist friend. He gets paid to go on fishing trips to determine what species might be impacted by proposed dams or other water projects. They fly him in on a float plane, pick him up two weeks later, and then he spends a week writing up a report before going off on the next trip.
After her cruise on Sea Dragon will she still want to hunker down on Kolibri? How you going to keep them down on the farm after they've seen Paree?

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Paul, knowing how much she loves to sail I'm betting that she will still be more than psyched to do the crossing on Kolibri. I'm also betting that she will declare herself to be the captain before we even leave the dock. She's had that drive in her since she was a little kid :).
foc6 cr.jpg

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Sure looks like she's aiming for something bigger than a 29' Annie in that picture. Just sayin'...
How are you getting Kolibri to SFO without her? Do you tow a dinghy full of stores behind? The CA-HI trip is supposed to be pretty quick, but going the other way can take some time. ;)

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Paul, Kolibri is currently in SF. I bought her in Maine and had her trucked to SF last year. My wife and I moved back to Hawaii in the fall of 2020 as well. I regularly have to be in SF for work. Typically 2 or 3 weeks in SF followed by 1.5 to 2.5 weeks in Hawaii. The balance should shift to 80% of the time in Hawaii in ~April of 2022.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Paul, Kolibri is currently in SF. I bought her in Maine and had her trucked to SF last year. My wife and I moved back to Hawaii in the fall of 2020 as well. I regularly have to be in SF for work. Typically 2 or 3 weeks in SF followed by 1.5 to 2.5 weeks in Hawaii. The balance should shift to 80% of the time in Hawaii in ~April of 2022.
Nice! Wine in SFO, women & song in HI. Sounds like you have quite a racket of your own going on. Pretty boat, too.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I'm sure your daughter is enjoying her sail to HI. I've always thought that would be a great adventure, especially on a 72 footer. She will definitely be an asset on your joint sail from SF.
I'm sure you will enjoy your new lifestyle as well. I pretty much do the same thing. Live on Maui most of the year, sail my C310 out of Boston in the summer, and visit my kids and grandkids while I am on the mainland. Gotta love it!

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Congratulations to your daughter on a successful trip. I just realized that I probably could have seen the Sea Dragon sail by if the timing had worked out.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Congratulations to your daughter on a successful trip. I just realized that I probably could have seen the Sea Dragon sail by if the timing had worked out.
I'll pass your congratulations along. She had a blast and learned a ton. She is even more amped up to help me sail Kolibri from SF to Oahu in June. She's already planning "multi day training sessions" to work out all the kinks. I see myself being very busy between now and June.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I'll pass your congratulations along. She had a blast and learned a ton. She is even more amped up to help me sail Kolibri from SF to Oahu in June. She's already planning "multi day training sessions" to work out all the kinks. I see myself being very busy between now and June.
How about a "multi day training session" to Maui? You could sail to Lahaina and check out the whales. Or anchor off Makena in South Maui and visit Turtle Town. In either case, I'd suggest you bring a couple of flopper stoppers for those swells from the West.

danetc

Dec 11, 2021
Catalina 29.5 Bay of Quinte
Congratulations, that's quite good distance. Also, boat looks amazing. All the luck