Pulling the trigger on a 1974 Alden Dolphin 47......

kj4fec

Jan 1, 2022
Alden Dolphin 47 Indiantown Marina
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a 74 alden dolphn 47. She has been stripped of all floors. All teak has been removed and sanded. No engine, so will have to find one. Being told that it is a complete boat, just needs restoration. Need input and thoughts on the boat, good bad and ugly...

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I don't know anything about the Alden Dolphin but it looks like a very interesting boat. It doesn't have an engine (and that boat needs an engine) so it is not "a complete boat", you are being mislead. Even if it was "complete", there will be many, many items (pressure water, navigation, safety equipment, toilet, standing & runing rigging, sails...) that will likely need replacing.
That could easily be a $100k boat after the purchase price, bare minimum would probably be $30k but that would mostly be the engine.
If you have the budget, time and will it could be a great boat. If any of those is missing it will go the way of the previous owner.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Define restoration.

As you dig into the boat you will undoubtedly find many things that need replacing and repairing. The rigging may all be there, but that doesn't mean it is serviceable.

The sails may be there, but that doesn't mean they can be used.

You will need time, money, and patience to bring this boat up to a seaworthy state. It can be done, do you have the resources to do it? Don't forget unless you have a place to put the boat while you restore it, you will be paying yard fees.

Remember, a free boat is the most expensive boat you can buy.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
47ft boats cost two times as much as 35 ft boats to operate and rest in a marina.

kj4fec

Jan 1, 2022
I know this will need time and money. I see this project taking 5 years to complete. I am going to see the boat again and look very closely at all the parts. Any boat I would get I would want a new motor in it. So that is a nice part as there isn't one there. I see this as a way to outfit and rig the boat as I would want it and take my time doing it. There are some electronics, but once again, I will put new onse on it. looking at the B&G line, but open for sugestions there.

I would start as replacing all the through hauls and paint the haul. Then she can go into the water. The haul seems like a great stable haul. again open for comments.

I am looking for a project as I have finished the house in a complete removation. I don't sit and watch tv very well as a hobby. lol

Thank you to everryone for the comments.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
beautiful boat. great choice. as you ready the vessel, we love pictures.

alden is a great design. that cutter ketch will be a load of fun. the boat is stout, i love stout.

so what yard is the vessel at? who is doing the restoration? what is your time frame for departure?

that boat will give the best ride. fast too! i have watched many restorations over the years. the alden is a great choice.

we love pictures, as i said, keep us posted

kj4fec

Jan 1, 2022
beautiful boat. great choice. as you ready the vessel, we love pictures.

alden is a great design. that cutter ketch will be a load of fun. the boat is stout, i love stout.

so what yard is the vessel at? who is doing the restoration? what is your time frame for departure?

that boat will give the best ride. fast too! i have watched many restorations over the years. the alden is a great choice.

we love pictures, as i said, keep us posted
WE plan on a 5 year restoration as we work full time. If we end up getting it, we will move it to the Tampa / St. Pete area. I will be doing the restoration myself, but hiring some of the work out that I don't feel comfortable doing. I will be documenting the whole process from looking at the boat to leving land and hitting the great blue. Pictures will come.

My wife and I welcome the project. This way it will be ours and the way we want it. As we continue to look at her, there are many things we would change like the twin births in the aft cabin to a king.

Just hope to get her at a resonable price.... lol...

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Not to be discouraging, just realistic, boat projects always take longer and are more expensive than planned. :(

I have a relative who boat a project boat and planned a 2 to 3 year restoration, that was 10 years ago its still sitting on land.

Best wishes for a successful and mostly on-time and on budget restoration!

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Maybe call Hodgsdon Bros in Southport, ME and see if they have any information on the boat as well as replacement parts that might not be in the "complete boat package".

Jan 2, 2022
Contest 43-44 CC Boston
What you must verify first is the core condition and integrity of the frame, hull, keel, rudder, deck - Only a really good surveyor, specialized in heavy cruising sailboats, can tell you if it worth any restoration. Forget the stories of the broker/seller.

Alden is well known builder (that does not exist unfortunately), but you need to know what is the present real core condition and why the owner abandoned the refit at such an early stage.

The engine, electronics and thruhull/seacoks fittings are your least to worry about items, as these have a more or less known cost and the installation can be more predictable around $40-50K in total. The problem is with all the unknown missing, broken etc. items, systems, tankage, rigging, sails, plumbing, fittings and here you can easily run to an expense of $150K (or more) plus years of your time and other service providers. So do your math.

A boat is way more complicated than a house and the reliability of a refit must be in a magnitude of at least 5X of anything professionally done on a house, RV etc... The less you know about boats and their professional refitting, the longer it will take and the higher the costs will be.

So this is where you may want to start... Best of luck!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Check out the "sailing magic carpet II" blog for some inspiration and motivation. It's a huge project... but certainly gratifying. Good Luck.

Nov 3, 2018
Cape Dory, Albin 300ms Motorsailer, Vega Baltimore
Without knowing much about your situation or the condition of the boat I can’t really say one way or another if you should pull the trigger on this but I will offer a couple of thoughts concerning restorations.

1. If your thinking that buying an older boat and putting in sweat equity to get into sailing on the cheap think again. From a cost perspective you are almost always better off buying a boat that is newer or already updated.

2. Size is your enemy! Costs and labor go up as the size of the boat goes up, not linearly, but exponentially! If this is your first boat restoration project start with something smaller to get an understanding of the systems that typically need replacing.

3. Is your goal to go sailing or restoring a boat? If sailing see #1 if restoring a boat see #2. What has worked for me is getting a project that is usable, meaning I can take it out for daysails or short trips as I work on and update systems. The temptation is to haul the boat and then start tearing things apart but the next thing you know the boat has been on the hard for a couple of years and your motivation and wallet start getting thinner. Next thing your looking for someone else to take it off your hands.

If you do decide to go ahead go into it with eyes wide open. Talk to marine trades people about the project, get a good survey, make sure you have a convenient Marina/workplace for the project. Remember there are lots of boats out there so don’t be in a hurry just because this one has caught your eye.

Good luck!