New year nautical resolutions or projects

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Crazed windows making you crazy? Dreaming of an updated galley or elevating your electronics?

Share the nautical projects or resolutions you plan to tackle in 2022. We'll feature the best submissions in the SBO Spring Commissioning guide.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Many items on my list, but several are done now…
Compass refilled, Radio console made, sink drain hoses replaced and thru hull rebed, Volvo dripless shaft seal installed…started on the winch upgrade but took some time off to celebrate Christmas in Colorado with one of my kids. Time to get back to work as I still have a few things to wrap up before April!

Greg

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
No boat projects… no boat anymore. Its a good thing because Diane’s dog needs a fence in the back yard thats going to cast more than the new main sail I might have bought and not seen in time for spring because of “supply chain“ delays.
53C846E1-9702-4031-8FC4-2CAA10A2333E.jpeg

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
we will be installing a new and improved DC board and circuitry in the panel behind the Nav station.
Happy New Year, John. Nice looking panel. No boat projects on the horizon here, but I do need to replace the power steering pump and muffler on our 1991 Vanagon.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Big ones on the list:
1. Getting a qualified marine electrician to actually show up and do an end to end evaluation of my charging system to make sure everything is set up/working correctly.
2. Getting a good mechanic to replace my factory Yanmar B panel with a "drop in" after market from ACDC Marine that has actual gauges for coolant temp and oil pressure (in addition to the idiot lights and buzzer - of which my buzzer is inop on the factory panel), replacing the factory coolant temp and oil pressure sensors with dual sensors that will send both a gauge reading and a buzzer signal to the panel and connecting all that up.
3. Maybe adding a freezer and doing some longer Chesapeake Bay cruises on the hook

Jan 7, 2011
Big ones on the list:
1. Getting a qualified marine electrician to actually show up and do an end to end evaluation of my charging system to make sure everything is set up/working correctly.
2. Getting a good mechanic to replace my factory Yanmar B panel with a "drop in" after market from ACDC Marine that has actual gauges for coolant temp and oil pressure (in addition to the idiot lights and buzzer - of which my buzzer is inop on the factory panel), replacing the factory coolant temp and oil pressure sensors with dual sensors that will send both a gauge reading and a buzzer signal to the panel and connecting all that up.
3. Maybe adding a freezer and doing some longer Chesapeake Bay cruises on the hook
@tfox2069,

Do you have a link for the panel you are going to use? My To Do list includes moving my engine panel and a newer one, with some Gauges would nice….

Thanks,

Greg

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Finally getting her splashed after Hurricane Sally put her ashore. Plus all the OTHER projects we took on because we are on the hard.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
So many projects.
My boat came with a great chain drive Benmar S power unit for the autopilot but it only turned one way, not very useful. One of the motor control boards was dead so I'm currently refurbishing the drive with a much more modern, and more efficient, motor controller and an Arduino microcontroller which will allow easy replacement of the ancient auto pilot.
Spring projects include installing and finishing the new teak and holly sole in the forward cabin and re-bedding the jib car tracks, starting with the port side one that has a small drip in a good rain.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
@tfox2069,

Do you have a link for the panel you are going to use? My To Do list includes moving my engine panel and a newer one, with some Gauges would nice….

Thanks,

Greg
The panel I'm considering is here:
Diesel Engine Marine instrument Panel B type USA Made Alternator Pick Up for Yanmar – AC DC Marine Inc.

There's 6 pages of various Yanmar panels to choose from, and you can completely customize the layout (to include having your boat name lithographed onto the panel). I'll probably use this layout, but am considering white gauges - they really are much more visible. Pretty sure this includes a start/stop switch, though its hard to tell in the photo (but you can add it if its not). ACDC also sells the necessary dual function oil pressure and coolant temp sensors with the correct adapters for the block. I've talked with the owner(?) on the phone and he's very knowledgeable and helpful. Gave me his cell phone and had me send him some photos so he could determine exactly what I would need. The wiring bit was just too much for me so I'm going to need a mechanic to sort that out for me.

I realize its not cheap - but in my opinion well worth it to get actual gauges on the panel. Yeah, I know there's cheaper ways to do it - but those require drilling holes in your cockpit and installing gauges that way. No thanks. Besides, then I'd be back to the wiring issue that I'm not comfortable with.

Jan 7, 2011
The panel I'm considering is here:
Diesel Engine Marine instrument Panel B type USA Made Alternator Pick Up for Yanmar – AC DC Marine Inc.

There's 6 pages of various Yanmar panels to choose from, and you can completely customize the layout (to include having your boat name lithographed onto the panel). I'll probably use this layout, but am considering white gauges - they really are much more visible. Pretty sure this includes a start/stop switch, though its hard to tell in the photo (but you can add it if its not). ACDC also sells the necessary dual function oil pressure and coolant temp sensors with the correct adapters for the block. I've talked with the owner(?) on the phone and he's very knowledgeable and helpful. Gave me his cell phone and had me send him some photos so he could determine exactly what I would need. The wiring bit was just too much for me so I'm going to need a mechanic to sort that out for me.

I realize its not cheap - but in my opinion well worth it to get actual gauges on the panel. Yeah, I know there's cheaper ways to do it - but those require drilling holes in your cockpit and installing gauges that way. No thanks. Besides, then I'd be back to the wiring issue that I'm not comfortable with.
Thanks for the link…ouch…not sure I want a new panel that much. I may build a new backing to mount the old panel on, and leave enough room for some gauges (bought separately). I already know I want to move my fuel and engine hour gauges from the lazzarette to the panel…I can leave room for a couple more maybe.

Thanks again for the link.

Greg

Jan 5, 2021
Hunter 41 DS Saint Petersburg
I'm going to update my autopilot to Raymarine EV 400, wind instrument to i 60, and combine the speed and depth to an i 70 tridata. I will have a couple of tested Fluxgate compass's and st 60 wind, speed and depth displays to get rid of after that.

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
The big one is getting a new boat. The old boat sold in the summer but, try as I might, I can't find anything suitable within a thousand miles of home. (I have pretty specific requirements.) But I'm determined to be ready to sail in the spring.
I also hope to build a kayak, once I clear enough room in my workshop by finishing some old projects. It's something I've wanted to do for longer than I can remember. Since I was a kid, I think.

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
My Hunter 240 has a short half bulkhead on the starboard side which provides some privacy for the port-a-potty in the vee berth forward. I plan to make a 32" long shelf, about 8" wide for additional storage space. I found a picture of one that someone else had made and mine will be similar. I made a galley cabinet last summer but I am still short of storage space.

Attachments