Tiller Pilots

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
I'm thinking about adding a tiller pilot to my '72 for next season. I was leaning toward a Raymarine ST1000+, but then I read Chip Ford's articles on all of the issues he had with them which made me think about going with a Simrad T10 instead. I've also heard people say to go with the Raymarine ST200, because it's constructed more robustly than the ST1000.

My main use will be single-handed lake sailing. I have an old main sail with the bolt-rope instead of slugs, so I can drop it from the cockpit but have to be at the mast to raise it. It's in excellent condition, so I'm not ready to switch it out for one with sail slugs yet. Would also be nice to have something to maintain course while I adjust the sails, run below to grab a drink, etc. I have a small chart plotter (openCPN) but don't really ever see myself trying to input a course and have the tiller pilot follow it. More of a 'hold this course for a couple of minutes while I do this quick sort of thing.

Wondering what others are using and how they like it.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If it were me, I'd pay the extra bucks for the stronger unit.... but mainly because it has network capability. Eventualy you may desire to upgrade to a network capable chart plotter (they're not that expensive). My little B&G Vulcan can act as a fully functional autopilot controller among it's many uses. I also have wind info in the network allowing the TP22 to steer to apparent and true wind direction. A really fantastic feature.... maybe not that important to you now, but should you trailer your boat to some larger water you'll appreciate it. Good Luck. Have fun

Aug 19, 2019
C&C 25 mk2 Seneca Lake
When I first bought my present boat there was one in on board, but alas... it was pretty far down the list as I was primarily focused on learning the boat and improving my sailing skills. By the second season I was well on my way checking off my list of items "to-do" and finally got to playing around with the tiller pilot (an older Navico unit). Now, several seasons later I couldn't imagine sailing without it. I single hand most of the time and it is invaluable for all the times mentioned when you may want the freedom to leave the helm.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Don't forget to give it a name as it will be thought of as a crew member.
Simrad TP10 is an alternative listing at about $100 less from Hodges than the ST2000. The Simrad doesn't interface with NMEA. The ST2000 interfaces with NMEA 1983 (Not 2000) and Seatalk (Raymarine's proprietary networking). Often Raymarine products need an interface to work with NMEA.
The Simrad TP22 is probably a better comparison to the ST2000 and it's around the same price. It interfaces with NMEA (Doesn't specify 1983 vs. 2000) and Simrad's proprietary networking.
So, I'm just suggesting shopping a bit more for the price and features you want.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
We have a 2000+ that's been faithful for a lot of years and miles. We named it Slocum. :) I've never owned a 1000+, but I know people who have owned both who say it is slower and flimsier.

Sep 25, 2019
2002 Cat 22 MkII Lake Somerville
Boat came with a ST1000 when we picked her up from previous owner....quickly realized it was too slow and unreliable. Recently switched to a new ST2000. What a HUGE difference it made! :)

Fair winds...
Zinger88
~~~ _/) ~~