OK... it isn't a boat, but...

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I think the concept would be very close to be the same.

How would I repair this without buying a new one or removing from the car? If I knew how to remove from the car I probably could do it myself by drilling a small hole at the top of the crack to prevent it from spreading. But on the frame that might be difficult. Plus, if I could remove it I could heat from behind to get a little more closure of the crack.

Thoughts?

20211122_091357.jpg 20211122_091408.jpg

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I think the body is an extruded plastic not a fiberglass. Have you sought out an autobody shop? Suspect they want you to replace the panel.

Feb 17, 2006
No, haven't gone to a body shop for that very reason. I can be fixed, but there is no money in that type of repair. They'll get better profit from a resale. :(

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
So what I have done to me Jeep rubber/plastic fenders is glob a bunch of 5200 on the back side and then embed a fiberglass screen into it for strength. So far this has held up well and is still flexible. My fenders were white, so a little 5200 on the top side matched in pretty well. You can still see it if you want to, but from 20 ft away it looks good. If you choose to paint it, you will need flexible paint designed for it.

Feb 17, 2006
Dave, that is the issue I have. In order to get to the back side I have to remove it completely. Might be able to loosen it and work just in that area, not sure. But yeah, need to get behind it so stop it from also spreading.

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
Here is the 3M instructions. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/collision-repair-us/applications/bumper-and-plastic-repair/

I repaired a plastic valance that was cracked with the 2 part bumper repair epoxy. Put a thin layer over the crack on the back of the valance after cleaning it well. when it set I used fiberglass drywall seam tape to reinforce the crack on top of the set epoxy and applied more epoxy in a second coat. Built the epoxy up a little thicker at the crack. Oh! I taped the crack first, on the finished side, to keep the two sides from displacing. I never had a problem after that. If you looked really closely you could see the crack in the paint but it was, after all, only a valance.

Good luck.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Like Daveinet, I have used 5200 and tape to repair a rear bumper cover. It did have to be removed for access. Has been ok for 8 years now.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
West system G-flex pre-thickened epoxy is formulated for plastic parts repair. I would try that. If it were mine, I would sand the area lightly close to the crack and press in the G-flex. After it cures, it can be sanded and then cover with your factory touchup paint kit. The worst off you will be is back to the beginning and full replacement.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Yup... fill,... sand... paint.

I'd probably go with JB Weld but only because I have used it for a lot of things over the years and I'm familiar with it.. If you have access to any velum (over head projector sheet -- acetate sheet).. I would cut out a small pice of that to tape over the filler while it cures. That will leave you with a very smooth finish after you pull it off and minimize the amount of sanding you will have to do to get a nice surface.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
They'll get better profit from a resale.
Often at wholesale price, the cost of a new panel is less or very close to the labour of
beveling the crack and using a flexible adhesive filler that is meant for that type of plastic. Labour is the big cost. Those panels are usually cheap.

When you consider a new panel is better than fixing the old one, and the often, minimal cost difference, the decision is usually easy.

What is important to realize, is that replacement or repair, at a professional level, requires removal of the whole panel, and painting it afterwards, regardless.

To get enough surface area for the bond, you usually sand the back of the panel and then apply a large patch on the back of the panel.

Think..patching a hole in a boat hull.. patch to create a larger surface area for bonding.

As noted, 3M, and other autobody supply companies make fillers that are specifically designed to bond to the plastics that are used... The filler, adhesion promoter, primer, base coat, and 2 part clear are all configured to bond well and stay flexible. Umatched materials often leads to failure of the repair or the bond of the paint.

Personally I would get the correct supplies, take the whole panel off, and do it right. You may need special tools for the clips that hold the panel on. Usually not though.. just need to determine how they work and gently release them.

Dave, that is the issue I have. In order to get to the back side I have to remove it completely. Might be able to loosen it and work just in that area, not sure. But yeah, need to get behind it so stop it from also spreading.
Yup.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Ok I'll be the Scrooge. It is a tiny cut and it can hardly be noticed. From a cosmetic standpoint, any small repair is really going to stand out more than the crack. Matching the paint for a spot is no easy fit. Has the crack spread any? I would not go beyond very carefully sealing it with a clear epoxy.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I can’t be sure, but that looks like a BMW bumper fascia. If so, you may nor want to even try to remove it. The fasteners are single use types and prone to break easily making it impossible to reattach properly.
We had a really good body shop not wanting to take the fascia apart and aware of the cost of a new part. They gave us the option of repairing instead.
They repaired it externally, I don’t know exactly how, and matched the paint perfectly. Even then it wasn’t cheap, but still far less than parts and labor for remove and then install.
That was over 2 years ago, and we still cannot see where the original damage was.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The fasteners are single use types and prone to break easily making it impossible to reattach properly
Many seem that way but many are in fact removable. If they really suck I just order a set of new clips. Some are common designs available in the aftermarket. I don't know why people bother trying to reinstall without functional clips.

Feb 17, 2006
Flexseal... ROFLMAO

Yes, it is a BMW bumper. Didn't want to ID it, but I was sure someone would figure it out. Anyway, will probably go with a clear epoxy just to A) seal it and B) keep if from opening up anymore.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Now, get off SBO and go sailing.

• Ha
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you go the Flex Seal route..... PLEEEEASE film it! And do your best Phil Swift.:beer::poop: