Mounted VHF Radio

May 12, 2020
Catalina 275 Sport 31 Quincy Bay
Hello. I'm planning on putting in a mounted VHF radio and remote mic on my Catalina 275. I would locate it in the galley area near the electrical panel. Does anyone know if the cable for the antenna can be fished out from behind the electrical panel? I'm pretty sure the cable was provided with the boat. Thanks.

Jun 6, 2016
Catalina 275 Wilmette, IL
For clarification, I did not order the boat with a VHF radio installed. That said, Catalina did include a cable through the mast. But I do not believe I have ever seen anything below deck. I'm not 100% about that, but it's the best I can recall. There are two conduits under the sink/cooler cabinet and a third conduit running up to the panel from below the aft bunk. It will run through at least one of those conduits if it is there. Also, it would be sticking out of the mast base. My guess you will need to run your own cable if you did not order it.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
If Catalina installed a VHF radio antenna cable could it be behind the galley close to where these 275 owner's vhf radios are located?

1637418453897.png

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
call catalina on the phone, tech guys can tell you by HIN number

May 12, 2020
Catalina 275 Sport 31 Quincy Bay
For clarification, I did not order the boat with a VHF radio installed. That said, Catalina did include a cable through the mast. But I do not believe I have ever seen anything below deck. I'm not 100% about that, but it's the best I can recall. There are two conduits under the sink/cooler cabinet and a third conduit running up to the panel from below the aft bunk. It will run through at least one of those conduits if it is there. Also, it would be sticking out of the mast base. My guess you will need to run your own cable if you did not order it.
Thanks Codybear. I'm almost certain there's a cable coming up from the base of the mast. I will check those two conduit areas you mentioned to see if I can find it in the cabin.

F260SS

Oct 7, 2020
Catalina 275 Sport Grapevine
If Catalina installed a VHF radio antenna cable could it be behind the galley close to where these 275 owner's vhf radios are located?

View attachment 200318
This is where mine is. I don't have a vhf installed but I do have the cable run to this location. Mine is not connected at the mast step so you may have to connect the two ends in the mast.

Mar 11, 2014
I'm looking to install a VHF on board with an antenna mounted at the mast head. I found a Cable installed in the mast that goes from the Mast access port to the boat and terminates behind the power panel below. The on ther side of that cable goes up the mast. Before I go up the mast I'm wondering what Catalina did with the end of the cable at the top of the mast. Is it tied off some where that is exposed or do I need to drop the mast to get at it? Any help/ experience would be appreciated.

F260SS

Oct 7, 2020
Catalina 275 Sport Grapevine
Sorry about the slow reply. I haven’t been on the forum in a while. My cable exited at the top of the mast and was clamped and zip tied.

Mar 11, 2014
Looks like I have the same set up... I've yet to get some one to go up the mast to install an antenna , but I'm concerned over the state of the wire. Given its just an open end up there will it be destroyed by the salt air and unusable?