Dinghy floor replacement

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Last year I repaired my Achilles Dinghy plywood floor. The repair held up great, but now and why wouldn’t it, there’s more on the other panels. So I’m thinking just make new floor panels (4) out of 3/8 thick HDPE Sheets. The 3/8 “ matches the marine plywood thickness and would keep the weight about same.
Has anyone use it for your dinghy, does it hold up to the weight put on it? What thickness did you use?
I guess I’m thinking it will dry out, get brittle and crack. The pieces I need are approximately (2) 30”x 23”, 30” x 17” and 24”x 17”.
Thank you for your help.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I think that is a great plan for a durable replacement floor. Just go to your local retail plastics store like King StarBoard Marine Board HDPE Sheets and Custom Cut : TAP Plastics, ask for King StarBoard - Marine Board HDPE and have them cut the pieces you need. Surprising that dinghy manufacturers don't use that material vs. wood. Never like the painted wood floors in my Achilles dinghy.

Some of its features of King Board are:
  • Environmentally stabilized for harsh sun and tough marine environments.
  • Won't rot, swell, splinter or delaminate when exposed to humidity or water.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2008
Thank you for the link. I‘ll go there later today and see what’s available. Yeah the painted floors only work for a couple of seasons.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I considered starboard for boarding steps but was advised against by Tap because it is super slippery and “nothing sticks to it”. Now that material is available with a non skid finish. Google diamond pattern.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
You may find starboard is more flexible than the original plywood.

Sep 26, 2008
Roy,
Is the flexibility because of the 3/8 inch thickness or the properties of the material itself? One thing that can really hurt a persons knees is stepping down into a dinghy and have that extra give your not ready for.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I am pretty sure that starboard is more flexible than plywood with the same dimensions.