pss dry shaft and vent line on H 41?

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
just installed a pss dry shaft and the vent line is just looking tru the floor, what did you do with your vent line? did you cut your floor? can i turn the vent 90 degrees?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Picture would be worth a 1000 words. Our PSS dripless vent I ran into the engine bay and then up above the water line and the turned it downward. I terminated the line into a small plastic bottle, the only time you may get water out of the vent is when in reverse, when a dripless packing is mounted on a powerboat that is not a vent line, its actually a seal cooling line, as our shafts don't turn faster than 3500 RPM the port becomes a burp/vent line.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
PSS states no vent line is required for a sailboat application.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
PSS states no vent line is required for a sailboat application.
Understood, but, occassionally when the shaft if rotating in reverse particularly on initial change in direction (such as backing into the slip) the vent port of the seal will burp water a line fastened to that running above the water line and into a catch pan will help ensure the area stays nice and dry.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Understood, but, occassionally when the shaft if rotating in reverse particularly on initial change in direction (such as backing into the slip) the vent port of the seal will burp water a line fastened to that running above the water line and into a catch pan will help ensure the area stays nice and dry.
I had significant amounts of water shooting up the vent port into the engine compartment every time we used a reverse thrust. After much research and consulting with PSS we learned that it’s a common occurrence on some boats that when you use reverse the bellows can slightly compress causing water to shoot up the vent. The solution was to raise the vent far up the hull and add a through hull for it. No more wet engine compartment, engine or engine bilge.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I also have water shoot up the vent line when put in reverse and I have the vent line high and still
have water shoot out and so added a bicycle bottle that the vent goes into the bottle 90% fitting.
Nick

Sep 30, 2008
Hunter 37.5 37.5 Norfolk
I made a couple of vent line overflow valves using water heater pressure relief valves, one brass and one plastic. After trying them I did not like the over flow that still managed to get in the shaft or engine space. So, I put a loop in the vent line and a plug in the end so water can't flow out the vent line. I check it occasionally to ensure there is water in the line and may even pull the plug in the vent line once in a while to ensure it is has water in it. Has worked for me for years. I like dry bilges. Might have something to do with being a former submariner keeping water out of the people tank.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
My LasDrop says below 10 kts the barb should be used as a vent so as not to trap air against the seal surface. Didn't PSS do away with the barb and end up bringing it back?

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
BUT i have to make a hole in the floor because the vent line is almost touching the board, how did you manage that ?

Aug 26, 2007
Hunter 41DS Ventura, California
Angle it sideways and install a line with catch bottle above the waterline like suggested above.
I angled mine to the side enough to get the line to fit under the floorboard- no problems.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I talked with PYI techs directly and I purged mine continuously and the best for longevity of your seal interface. [just like power boats]

PSSPruge.png

i bought the Bronze hose adapter from PYI. [not brass in my picture label]
_____
Here is what @Maine Sail uses as an alternative to my continuous purge.
161834395.jpg

Picture and Quote from him...
"I use hydronic heating system vents, the one below made by Taco and called the Hy-Vent series.. They have proven 100% trouble free for over 12 years now. Never lets in a single drop of water and always keeps the air out of the PSS. I have also use a bike water bottle, as a capture point, but it eventually needs to be emptied they Hy-Vent never does and is fully automatic..."

Jim...

PS: This info was from this link...
Water in Engine

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
what hose did you splice into?
The Engine Water pump discharge. Shown in picture. Same place used for Power Boats.

Even though Sailboats do not need a continuous purge because of Lower Shaft RPM, There is still friction heat on the Carbon Seal/Stainless interface. Thus mine is continuously purged with cooling water.

PSS is a "Single Mechanical Seal" and same type as LasDrop that @Justin_NSA uses. Note that these type seals are the only type shaft seals that DO NOT wear your shafts. All others compress packing etc, to your shaft thus causing shaft wear.
_______
Even @Maine Sail vent is above that Engines water High Point Vent.

Noted in my picture is my High Point Vent.
That is spot is key to prevent potential siphons from your Engine water pump when shutting down your engine.

Jim...

Aug 26, 2007
Valerio,
I like Mainsail's setup better- saves having to occasionally empty the water bottle.

Sep 15, 2019
Hunter 45 CC Ft Pierce, FL
My vent hose is directed forward 3 feet too the engine compartment then turns up behind a dresser 5 feet. The hose end isn't terminated and open to the air.

Aug 26, 2007
Mine is routed the same and currently terminated with a water bottle that I have to occasionally empty (soon to be replaced with a Taco Hy- Vent)..