Beneteau 331- Replace head

Feb 9, 2014
Beneteau 331 MD
Would like to replace the Jabsco manual head in our 331-2003.
Considering a Vacuum head.

Any suggestions?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
A vacuum head is complicated with additional vacuum vessel that takes up additional space and significantly higher cost VacuFlush Toilets | Marine Toilets | Dometic (environmentalmarine.com). I had vacuum flush toilets on a powerboat and liked them until visitors overloaded them with TP or dropped a cork in them and each repair was $1000. Why not buy a fresh water electric head with macerator like the Raritan Elegance Marine Elegance | Raritan Engineering? That is what I recently installed, albeit I already had power supply. This thread addresses electric vs vacuum head Electric Vs Vacuflush head | Sailboat Owners Forums.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2014
Beneteau 331 MD
Thanks for the info.
Also our holding tank’s capacity is limited, aprox 18-20 gallons.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Maybe the first question here should be WHY as opposed to a conventional, shall we say Raritan ? Makes no sense on a boat of this size.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I am also considering replacing with a conventional Raritan.
Excellent choice. I recently changed over from a Jabsco POC to a Raritan PH Superflush model. The floor bolts are an exact match and only had to relocate the 1-1/2" discharge hose as it tightly exits through the rear wall. Went all out and also installed a fresh water rinse as well.

100_3974A.JPG

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Dometic (formerly SeaLand Technology) claim that their VacuFlush can use "as little as" 1 pint of flush water has misled a lot of owners into believing that's all it needs. And as a conseqence, at least 75% of all marine toilet problems posted online are from VacuFlush owners, almost all of which are the result of too little water going through it to rinse bits of solid waste and TP out of the system.

Fwiw, VF was the toilet on my last two boats and I was a dealer for nearly 10 years...so I'm intimately acquainted it.

If you want to stay with a manual toilet, the Raritan PH SuperFlush Raritan PH SuperFlush is top rated...Raritan's Fresh Head Raritan Fresh Head is the ONLY manual toilet designed to use fresh water.

If you want the "pushbutton" convenience of an electric macerating toilet, the Raritan Marine Elegance, designed to use pressurized fresh water, Raritan Marine_Elegance Promo.pdf is the top rated macerating electric toilet. The more basic Raritan SeaEra, a sea water toilet, Raritan SeaEra Promo Sheet is top rated in its class.

Don't let the list prices of any of these scare you...they're all available for a lot less if you know where to shop.

--Peggie

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It's fairly easy to limit the amount flush water any toilet uses...there are a number of ways to do it..here are a few of 'em: Learn to use dry flush to do more than just remove the last cupful of water from the bowl. Most boat owners don't know that any manual toilet that's working anywhere close to specs can move bowl contents at least 6' in the dry mode. If it's an uphill run from the toilet to the tank or the tank is much further than 6' from the toilet, a loop in the toilet discharge line immediately after the toilet that's just a little higher than the top of the tank means you only have to flush long enough to move bowl contents over the loop...unless the plumbing route is real mess, gravity will get it the rest of the way. Once a day, flush about a liter of clean water to rinse the plumbing. Always add water to the bowl ahead of solids (use a cup from the sink if your toilet isn't designed to bring in water and hold it)....you'll have a much cleaner bowl with a lot less flushing.

--Peggie