H280 Service Manual

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
Hello my friends,

I is there are service manual for the H280?

Looking for data on servicing the steering, replacing the rudder bearing, replacing tank sensors, and a few other odds and ends that are not covered in depth in the owners manual.

Thx in advance.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
There is an owners manual on the Hunter 280 download page…

i don’t think it will help with many of your questions though…more schematics than a true service manual.
Good for identifying line and rigging sizes, locating thru-hulls and plumbing, etc.

but a quick look at the rudder drawing, it shows top and bottom bearings “encapsulated in rudder tube”…see page 37.

Greg

Aug 19, 2021
but a quick look at the rudder drawing, it shows top and bottom bearings “encapsulated in rudder tube”…see page 37.
Thx Greg.

Overhauling the steering and rudder when I haul it out for up keep.

I will upload anything I find for anyone following in my footsteps.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Never seen a Hunter sailboat service manual. You will need to develop one based on best practices documented on the internet. Please post one when you develop one. That is what I do for my boats.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021
Never seen a Hunter sailboat service manual. You will need to develop one based on best practices documented on the internet. Please post one when you develop one. That is what I do for my boats.
I sure will.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Well, that stinks.
This is from the H280 manual and shows the Rudder and bearings.
Hopefully you understand my Colored Notes, I did on this Drawing.

Hunter_280_31086070.png

When out of the water, push/pull on the rudder to see if there is "Play" or significant lateral movement.

Very little Play, then your bearings should be ok.;)
Jim...

Aug 19, 2021
When out of the water, push/pull on the rudder to see if there is "Play" or significant lateral movement.

Very little Play, then your bearings should be ok.;)
Jim...
Jim,

I had her out of the water for survey and inspection. I would guess there could be about an 1/8 inch of movement on the forward to aft axis.

Thank you for the information.