Tohatsu 8HP Slip Water Flushing System

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
We have a new 2021 8HP Outboard on a 1987 Cat 22 in a salt water slip and looking for a Flushing Bag System.
We have the accessory to fit the engine but can not reach the port location on the engine shaft while in a slip.
We have about 4-hours on the motor and would feel better if we could flush this motor each time we bring it back to the slip.
An earlier search for this system via our Forms came up with this device......... Has anyone used this Flush Bag while at a slip with any success?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You need a boarding ladder or swim platform on the transom. I flushed my motor with the ear muff system using the transom ladder. You already have a flush valve on the motor... you just need to figure out how to access it. That bag system looks like a lot of time and effort. Anyway, a boarding ladder is a good addition to the boat.

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
The Swim Ladder is on the Starboard Side and the Outboard is on the other side. I'll look at that, still not sure I can reach the outboard flush port that is on the starboard side of the engine shaft.
Besides, this flush valve that Tohatsu manufactures for this engine is not permanent. The accessory needs to be screwed into a port where there is currently a screw plug, then removed before motoring. See accessory photo attached.

Attachments

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Not true the flush attachment can staty attached underway , you just screw a plug into the end of the hose attachment when not using it.
Add extra slot to motormount (1).JPG
you can see white plug in picture, about a buck at home depot etc.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Umm not to be too simple here but it looks like the entire attachment is just a barb, a piece of hose, and a garden hose connector. Why not just lengthen the tube or add a small ball valve inline to avoid needing to plug the garden hose end. Heck you could even get a new 90 deg barb with the right threads and pipe the whole thing up like @Jacktar has. I don't even think the motor needs to run to be flushed with the attachment.

Feb 20, 2016
Catalina 22 Palm Harbor
Talked to Tohatsu Technical Support. Here is the "SIMPLE" Solution:
Strap a 5-Gal. Bucket to the outboard shaft in or out of the water ( We have a Spring loaded lift to get motor out of the water: Install guide lines on each side of the bucket and attach support lines, one on each side of the bucket, to the boat cleats, Aft.
Fill the bucket with water from garden hose and keep it running until any salt water intrusion has been dumped, start the motor in neutral and run at idle for 3-minutes. When done, shut down the motor and water disconnect the bucket via the two lines, dump all the water and store accordingly. The only use with the flush accessory would be while out of the water for maintenance.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Congrats on the new 8 horse! I'm very curious about how it will perform. If we ever meet on the water (not unlikely!) we'll have to have an "iron genny only" race. :biggrin:

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
My flush attachment was put on my motor by the dealer when he sold it to me. Has done this extended flusher thing on all he has sold for over 5 years now. Easiest setup I have ever dealt with for flushing.