Should the prop shaft flange be painted?

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I am installing a LasDrop lip seal dripless packing and the old flange which is only 8 years old it very rusty. I know that I should not get that amount of rust with the dripples packing but it still seems good to protect the flange from atmospheric salts. Should the prop shaft flange be painted? If so, any suggestions for prep and paint?

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
For what it's worth; My prop flange is painted the same yanmar gray as the transmission. It has always been painted on the outside surfaces and touched up when checked periodically.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
The prop shaft flange on my boat was painted red, not that the color makes any difference.
I never had any rust concern since the boat was in fresh water. The red made markings easier to see when doing alignment.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Paint will eventually crack, pit, or whatever and allow corrosion from salt water to get back to business again. I have always covered everything in that area (but not the hose) with an aerosol spray material called Fluid Film. It remains as a heavy greasy film and spreads over any sprayed metal surface. Even the bronze packing gland stays kind of so-so for a few years. About $12.00 for the can.

The attached shows the shaft flange as it looks today at 22 Y.O. I will disassemble and respray every ~5 years for an alignment job but not a trace of corrosion inside or out.

Completed Packing Job.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My new flange is not painted… I will check it when I haul out next week and see if it still has oil on it from machining.

Greg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have used Eastwood products to clean, prep and paint rusty automotive parts.
My "new" Buck Algonquin split coupling is cast ductile iron with zinc plating. It still looks great. I installed it early '18 with my LasDrop Gen II seal. I am in fresh water.