2008 Hunter 36 install of Raritan Fresh Head

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Jabsco needed rebuilding again, so decided to replace entire head with a Raritan Fresh compact marine head. We never cruise enough for freshwater use to be a problem, and getting rid of seawater smell is a bonus. Plus - Raritan vs Jabsco.
Peggy recommended this head, and the bolt footprint is identical to the Jabsco, so that also made it easy. It also requires no power, using a manual pump and pressure water.

Price was around $400 I had to special order the left hand flush as no one carries it in stock. Jabsco told me the right hand flush is convertible if you replace an internal hose with a slightly longer one, but I chose to stay factory assembled.

As the pics show the H36 head space is tight - only a compact bowl will fit, mostly due to how far back the bowl fittings go and that the bolt holes are already pretty far forward on the platform. So I chose to cut out a little of the shelf to accommodate rather than try to fill and redrill bolt holes. The cover hides the shelf cutout.

because you’re using your freshwater tank you can do away with the vented loop. The next issue was the boat is plumbed with 15mm pex and the toilet connection is 1/2”. That took some googling but I found a Whale 15mm push fitting to 1/2”NPT threaded fitting, so the conversion went easily (see photo).The simplest would’ve been a push fitting 15mm Tee to 1/2” output push fitting but couldn’t find such an animal, so that’s why the three fittings for the conversion.

Peggy recommends replacing the sewage line to the holding tank while you’re at it. I did that two years ago with the high quality line she recommends. No need to to it again so soon. I closed and removed the handle from the seacock and will cap it with a bronze cap.

Using this head is easier, and I’m sure the odor factor will be lower. Wanted other folks to see how it fit and what modifications/conversions were required. Not a drop in, but easy enough for a moderately skilled DIY job.

Attachments

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Good job...you're gonna love it. Be sure to explain to your guests how it works 'cuz as you've already discovered, it works a bit differently from other manual toilets...you're not pumping flush water in, you're ALLOWING pressurized fresh water to come into the toilet....kinda like opening a faucet. Takes a little getting used to.

--Peggie

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Good job...you're gonna love it. Be sure to explain to your guests how it works 'cuz as you've already discovered, it works a bit differently from other manual toilets...you're not pumping flush water in, you're ALLOWING pressurized fresh water to come into the toilet....kinda like opening a faucet. Takes a little getting used to.

--Peggie
Already fixed up a placard by editing their printed instructions, which I’m going to laminate and affix to the bulkhead ;). And I made a 20 second video for...uh...visual learners.

As always Peggy, thanks for the GREAT advice. Would've never found this solution without reading your posts. I REALLY didn't want the trouble of wiring electricity to a toilet (always a pain), but I really wanted a fresh water head. PERFECT solution. THANK YOU!!

Attachments

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Update: Just did a weeklong cruise on the Chesapeake with the new Raritan Fresh with 2-3 of us at times. Impact to fresh water usage was negligible, and ZERO annoying stink compared to the raw water flush experience. A bit of a question in my mind as to whether flushing the solids would work efficiently without water being pushed with some pressure from above, but the suction from the Raritan is more than substantial enough that as long as you have sufficient water in the bowl it all disappears without a worry. And the directions above were clear enough that no one even had to be shown how to use the head - and everyone got it right.

All in all VERY happy with this upgrade. And thanks again to Peggy Hall for suggesting it - I would've never known this hybrid option existed.