Hunter 41DS vs 41AC

Sep 22, 2021
Hunter 41AC 0 Portland, OR
I have looked at a 2007 41DS that is local to me. I have also looked at the ad for a 2007 41AC and I'm having difficulty seeing the differences. I do know that the DS we saw had a 50 gal fuel tank while the AC is said to have a 36 gal. tank. I believe that the AC was standard with a 40HP engine and 36 gal. tank but the 54HP engine was an upgrade option. The 41AC that I'm looking at is said to have the 56HP engine. I thought that the main difference was that the DS had more headroom internally but the stated headroom on the AC ad is 6'8", only 2" less than that for the DS.

Are there other differences that I should be aware of?

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Basically the two boats are the same! The upgraded engine is a Yanmar 54HP for both and both have 50 Gal fuel tanks under the aft bunk. As you say the big difference is the view from the saloon! The sole plate in the saloon is raised in the DS which gives the DS a 360 degree view outside the boat and the AC is a bit more limited view. I personally like the lines of the DS much better (we own one). But other than that they are the same boat. Good boats either way! It just depends on your preference!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Just an observation on Hunter's design.

Engine HP ≈ Fuel Tank Gallons

Jim...

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Just an observation on Hunter's design.

Engine HP ≈ Fuel Tank Gallons

Jim...
James, not certain that I completely agree with your rule of thumb. The stock engine for the 41DS & 41AC is 40HP. Your rule of thumb is a bit off here. The Optional engine is the 54HP.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My Hunter 280 (1996) had an 18 HP 2GM20F and about an 18 or 20 gallon fuel tank….never knew that there was a correlatio.

my O’Day 322 (1988) has the same engine…and a19 or 20 fuel tank…so maybe it is not just a Hunter thing.

Maybe just practical to size the tank to the engine consumption…unless you are building a world cruiser.

Greg

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
not certain that I completely agree with your rule of thumb.
Just an observation for Hunter designs. Other boats , not sure.

Engine HP Fuel Tank Gallons
The squiggly = or ≈ mean approximate or ± some design tank sizes.
Jim...

PS: Tanks sizes, by Hunter, in that era were standard sizes.;)

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
I have a 2004 41AC, and my slip neighbor has a 2008 41DS. I have spent time on both boats. No real difference other than loosing the 2 forward skylights in the saloon, on the AC vs framed ports on the DS. Interiors are identical layout, with obvious detailing changes each year. Our 2004 is full teak interior with lead keel and full fiddles. the 2008 is steel keel, with printed panels and teak trim, with partial fiddles. Both are great looking boats that we both sail a lot. As Nodak has mentioned, the standard engine was 40HP, but I have never seen one out in the wild. The mariner package got you the bigger 56/54hp motor and other goodies. In 2004 the yanmar was 56, and I believe that in 2005/2006 a new EPA emissions change required the redesign so that is how you end up with the 54HP. The engines do have different power curves and rpm ranges. Our boat has 2 fuel tanks, main is 35 gallons and 2nd is 18. The 2nd came with the generator package. We have a panda 6000. It basically comes down to styling choices. If it were me I would look at the condition of each boat and buy the one that has the most goodies, given equal pricing and condition.

Good luck with your hunt!

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
I have a 2004 41AC, and my slip neighbor has a 2008 41DS. I have spent time on both boats. No real difference other than loosing the 2 forward skylights in the saloon, on the AC vs framed ports on the DS. Interiors are identical layout, with obvious detailing changes each year. Our 2004 is full teak interior with lead keel and full fiddles. the 2008 is steel keel, with printed panels and teak trim, with partial fiddles. Both are great looking boats that we both sail a lot. As Nodak has mentioned, the standard engine was 40HP, but I have never seen one out in the wild. The mariner package got you the bigger 56/54hp motor and other goodies. In 2004 the yanmar was 56, and I believe that in 2005/2006 a new EPA emissions change required the redesign so that is how you end up with the 54HP. The engines do have different power curves and rpm ranges. Our boat has 2 fuel tanks, main is 35 gallons and 2nd is 18. The 2nd came with the generator package. We have a panda 6000. It basically comes down to styling choices. If it were me I would look at the condition of each boat and buy the one that has the most goodies, given equal pricing and condition.

Good luck with your hunt!
Ice, we had a buddy boat that was a 2007 H41DS vs our 2006 H41DS. They were essentially the exact same boat! Ours has the lead keel and I believe that his was lead as well. His had a PF Genset but only had a single 50 Gal fuel tank (as was ours with no Genset). I admit I am very partial to the H41DS over the H41AC. But I agree it comes down to what "goodies" either has that would sway me one way or the other.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Having owned a 41DS and never owned or sailed a 41 AC, one difference might be the winded surface on the boats. As there is less on the 41 AC, crosswinds may be less of an issue when docking. The added headroom on the DS was certainly wecome as I am 6' tall and when visiting a friends 41 AC, I noticed the difference.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Having owned a 41DS and never owned or sailed a 41 AC, one difference might be the winded surface on the boats. As there is less on the 41 AC, crosswinds may be less of an issue when docking. The added headroom on the DS was certainly wecome as I am 6' tall and when visiting a friends 41 AC, I noticed the difference.
Indeed Semper the windage is a bit more on the DS over the AC but not terribly significant! The DS is a stately boat and very attractive with the "eyebrows". I see some other manufacturers are putting those on their newer boats now.